Chapter 1: Introduction

A/N: Welcome to the rewritten book! Keep in mind that this is not a new story and is just rewritten. Characters, creatures, and romance will be fixed up. These chapters are entirely rewritten, and therefore some chapters have been combined. Due to Wattpad's ads, I have felt that delivering such short chapters is unfair, so if I can help it, each chapter will be 3000-4000 words. Anyways, thank you for the wait and I look forward to everyone's comments!

The Pink Fox had always been a legend among the lands. He was a man who was cunning and sleek like a fox but who also stood out with his bright pink hair. Like most ANBU, he was only known by a codename, an alias, to his own people and other lands. Along with the secrecy, however, came never being too close to anyone. The Pink Fox was a solitary man devoted to his work; even his family, the Haruno Family, knew nothing about him.

Among the ANBU, The Pink Fox was known as "Pinkie." The nickname was given to him when he joined and had stuck ever since. However, the only person who truly knew his name was a man named Hiruzen Sarutobi, the Hokage of the Leaf.

"Javen." Hiruzen spoke sharply as he looked into the eyes of the ANBU mask that belonged to The Pink Fox, "You should go to your little sister's graduation tomorrow."

Javen knew it wasn't a request but a demand, so the next day he was perched on a post nearby, watching the kids run out the Academy door with their shiny new headbands. He thought this was a waste of time until he saw a girl run out the door with her pink hair swishing behind her. At that moment, he knew he had to get to know his sister, Sakura Haruno.

Javen spent a week after that watching her from afar. He watched his parents too. He watched them be the family he never had and now knew he longed for. During this time, he had begun to arrive at meetings with the Hokage late until he skipped them altogether. It wasn't until late at night, when Hiruzen showed up at his apartment door, that Javen knew he had to change something in his life.

"Javen, tell me, what is on your mind?" The Hokage pushed past Javen and moved to sit on the living room couch, "Something, my boy, is on your mind and has distracted you of late."

Javen took a long breath as he closed the front door and chose his words carefully, "Lord Third. I would like to ask you for something if that is okay?"

The Hokage raised his brows as he leaned back into the couch and took a long drag from his pipe. Javen Haruno had never asked for anything in all his years of service. His needs never mattered to him. Hiruzen let out a puff of smoke before looking at Javen.

"You may always ask me for anything. But, after all these years, I'm sure I owe you a favor or two." The older man chuckled and set down his pipe on the coffee table in front of him. "Please, ask."

Javen moved away from the door and stood before Hiruzen with a slight bow, "I wish to be in my sister's life."

This wasn't a surprising request to the Hokage. Many Shinobi realized that family was essential for stability and life as they grew and matured. Javen was no exception.

"I suppose this idea sparked when I asked that you attend young Sakura's graduation?"

It was a simple question, but Javen hesitated in answering it. He hated feeling like he couldn't follow a simple request from the Hokage, like attending an event, without making a mistake.

"Yes, Lord Third. I had realized," Javen looked down as he didn't dare to make eye contact with the man he idolized, "that Sakura would probably need someone in her life who could help her learn at home. Help her with a shinobi's life, that is. I am sure our parents have the civilian part handled, but there are certain parts of being a shinobi that you must learn."