Chapter 14: Good Things Don't Last

Weeks passed of just pure happiness. Javen almost forgot he was a shinobi with responsibilities because of the ring around his finger, but then he was summoned to Tsunade. This was inevitable, but he had pushed it so far back in his mind that the summons made him queasy. He ran his thumb over the band on his ring finger and sighed.

Everything had been perfect for the past few weeks. The Haruno's had gotten their land in the back of the abandoned Uchiha land. It wasn't much at all. It was just enough where they could build a few houses in the future and live in now. Sakura, Javen, their parents, and of course, Kakashi had moved completely, and Javen now lived with Kakashi. It was like a dream come true for Javen.

Kakashi stumbled into their shared kitchen after sleeping in. He looked tired, and Javen smiled before handing him a cup of coffee.

"Looks like I'm returning to work. Which means you as well, probably." Javen showed Kakashi the tiny scroll with the Hokage's seal, requiring a summons.

The white-haired man looked drained once he saw it.

"Damn." Kakashi rubbed his eyes as he drank his coffee. "Well, if you don't go to Tsunade now, you'll be late. You're developing my habits."

Javen feigned a smile, "Then I'll be late. I have to change anyways."

He headed to their bedroom, and as he changed, he yelled across the house to communicate.

"I'll just tell her my new fiance didn't want to get out of bed." He smiled, knowing that it was all too believable.

"That's not fair. Then I'll have the blame put on me." Kakashi's voice didn't seem like he cared all too much as Tsunade would assume Kakashi caused the lateness anyways.

"Okay, then the blame will be on you." Javen pulled on a shirt and pants before working on his pouches and bandages.

"What do you think your mission will be? I haven't heard of anything."

Javen let out a long sigh before responding, "It's going to be the Akatsuki, I assume. Tsunade mentioned it to me before. I'm just surprised it wasn't sooner."

"The Akatsuki?" Kakashi seemed alarmed, so Javen finished getting dressed and headed to the kitchen, kissing his fiance's forehead.

"Yeah, I know you don't like the idea. But, of course, no one does, but I'm one of the few people in the village who knows what all of them are capable of." He tied his headband around his neck, "As long as it's not Hidan and Kakuzu, I will be fine, presumably at least."

Kakashi narrowed his eyes, "If you're not fine, I'm going to be on the rescue team. Do you understand?"

Javen chuckled and opened the front door to their home, "Then I have nothing to worry about. Hopefully, I will be back in less than a few days, okay? Also, if something happens, I'll send Jack, my rabbit, to report what's up."

Kakashi flashed him a smile before Javen left the house and headed to the Hokage's building. Javen moved faster than usual, bolting over the roofs of homes. He was running late, as Kakashi had said, and if he could only arrive just a bit late, he could avoid a scolding, hopefully. Soon enough, he stood on the top of the Hokage's office with a bunch of other people, including Shikamaru, who was a chunin now and sporting a light green vest. Javen was in his ANBU gear.

They were tasked to search for and, if possible, capture a pair of Akatsuki members who had entered the land of fire. There were twenty newly formed platoons, and Javen was placed in a larger group with Asuma, Shikamaru, Kotetsu, and Izumo. This larger group was because if the Akatsuki they encountered were Hidan and Kakuzu, Javen could stand back and call shots rather than fight. After all, they would have enough people to do that with. That's what he was told, but even Javen knew it was in case he hesitated or faltered.