~24~

1,894 years in the past...

"So the universe ended. You missed that, in 102 AD. I suppose this means you and I never get born at all. Twice, in my case." Rory whispered to Amy, brushing the hair out of her face as he clutched her dead body to his chest, "You would have laughed at that. Please laugh. The Doctor said the universe was huge and ridiculous; sometimes there were miracles. I could do with a ridiculous miracle about now."

The Doctor pops in from thin air, wearing a red fez and carrying a mop. He looks down at the two humans trying not to let it bother him that his favourite Scottish ginger was in front of him dead.

"Rory! Listen, she's not dead. Well, she is dead, but it's not the end of the world. Well, it is the end of the world. It's the end of the universe. Oh, no. Hang on." The Doctor vanishes again.

"Doctor? Doctor!" Rory shouts looking around wildly. The Doctor reappears, without the mop.

"You need to get Athena out of the Pandorica so she can bring me back."

"But you're okay?" Rory looks over the doctor looking for injuries seeing none.

"No, I am not. Well, I am now, but I wasn't back then. Well, back now from your point of view, which is back then from my point of view. Time travel, you can't keep it straight in your head. It's easy to open from the outside. Just point and press." The Doctor gives Rory his sonic screwdriver.

"Now go." The Doctor vanishes and returns, "Oh, and when you're done, leave my screwdriver in Amy's top pocket. Good luck."

"What do you mean? Done what?" Rory shouts as the Doctor disappears once more.

-

Athena couldn't feel anything going on around her. The box was so silent she could hear both of her hearts beating,

Buhduduhduh Buhduduhduh Buhduduhduh.

So this is what the Master heard all the time. It is maddening, especially with not being able to access her powers. Whatever they had it was a dangerous drug and will need to be eradicated.

Suddenly a sharp pain shot through her chest causing her to lurch forward against the restraints with a scream. It felt like her chest was being ripped in two. She looked down at her hands where an inky blackness was climbing down her arms. She squirmed and screamed as a dark cold surged through her body.

The pain was too much for even her. Her head dropped and she was left unconscious.

-

Rory opens the Pandorica with the sonic screwdriver. Athena falls forward heading to the floor. Rory catches her lowering her gently to the floor. Her legs and arms were still limp from the pain and drug that coursed through her system. She takes a moment to breathe, gaining her bearings before looking at Rory

"Well hello ducky" Her eyes moved from the ceiling to meet him.

"Hey cat are you okay?" He said gently as he looked her over.

"they gave me something that doesn't go well with my body." She sighed screwing her eyes shut "Give me a moment I'll be up in no time"

"The doctor said you need to save him?" Rory asked a few moments later.

"oh yeah. Can you sit me up?" She breathed as he sat her up, "Thanks"

Athena looks around the room until her eyes land on a fossilized version of the doctor. His hands were on his face and he was on his knees looking like a weeping angel. Athena crawled over to him, placing a hand on his shoulder. Her powers began to circle them and the dust from his fossilisation fell away bit by bit. He lowered his hands and looked up at her, his face red and streaked with tears. Athena shifted so Rory couldn't see this side of him.