ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴇɪɢʜᴛ

(Y/n) watched with nervous eyes as Aang tugged on Appa's reigns.

"Aang, I don't know about this. Shouldn't we go with you? The world can't afford to lose you to the Fire Nation," Katara anxiously asked mirroring (Y/n)'s thoughts.

"But I have to talk to Avatar Roku to find out what my vision means!" Aang leaped off the ground, using his airbending to propel him upward. "I need to get to the fire temple before the sun sets on the solstice. That's today!"

Aang jumped onto Appa, but before they could take a single step forward, Katara, Sokka, and (Y/n) ran in front of them, stopping them from going any further.

"We're not letting you go to the Fire Nation, Aang," Katara stared at Aang with a determined look.

"At least not without us," (Y/n) cracked a smile, looking up at Aang with a confident stare.

Appa groaned, licking (Y/n) who laughed in response. She climbed onto Appa's saddle, helping her siblings up after she had finished climbing.

"It's a long flight to Cresent Island. You'll have to be quick if you want any chance of making it before sundown," the mayor seriously stated, handing Aang a sachet of supplies.

"Thank you for–"

"Go!" The mayor cut off Aang, clearly displeased at the slow exchange of pleasantries.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

Appa sailed across the sea, the sunlight reflecting off its dark surface. (Y/n) marveled at how the waters seemed to sparkle.

"Come on, Appa! Faster!" Aang yelled, tugging on Appa's reigns for what seemed the 50th time.

(Y/n) shook her head, petting the poor bison's fur as if to try and comfort him. Katara and Sokka were slumped over in the saddle. Sokka's body was haphazardly draped over the edge, while Katara slept on her side in the center. (Y/n) smiled looking at their sleeping forms, glad they were able to rest before going into the Fire Nation.

(Y/n) had tried to sleep the night before, but every time she closed her eyes, she saw that bloody massacre from the forests of Omashu. Those dead eyes staring at her, those beating hearts, the smell of blood, and the taste of iron, still haunted her. She shuttered, feeling a cold breeze snap her out of her small trance. She took in a small breath of the salty ocean breeze. Her nose wrinkled instinctively. (Y/n) felt herself gag slightly, her hands shooting up to pinch her nose. Aang turned around, clearly concerned.

"What's wrong?" Aang looked at (Y/n) for a moment, looking at her pinch her nose. "Do you not like the smell of the sea?"

(Y/n) shook her head.

"I hate it," she whispered to herself.

Aang tilted his head in confusion. "Why?"

(Y/n) didn't respond, only choosing to stare at the horizon. 'I hate the smell,' she thought to herself, subconsciously clenching her fists until her knuckles turned white. 'because it smells like the scent of blood.'

Aang looked at (Y/n) with concern before letting out a shout, pulling on Appa's reigns to swerve them out of the way of a fireball.

(Y/n) let out a grunt as her body hit the side of the saddle, her siblings tumbling around. Katara let out a surprised groan while Sokka screamed, his shoulder hitting against the sleeping bags. (Y/n) looked at where the fireball had been launched only to see Zuko's ship chasing them, a cloud of black soot trailing behind the ship like an omen of bad luck. (Y/n) gritted her teeth, watching Zuko command his men to fire another one.