ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛʜʀᴇᴇ

"Look! There it is! The Southern Air Temple."

(Y/n) gazed up at the marvelous tower ahead, gawking at its immense size.

"Aang, it's amazing!" Katara beamed, staring at it.

"We're home, buddy," Aang whispered, patting Appa.

(Y/n) smiled at the pair, knowing that their family was growing to depend on each other more and more every day. Appa landed on the ground, letting out a tired groan. Aang eagerly jumped off the saddle. (Y/n) slid down the side, dusting her clothes off at the bottom. She groaned, stretching out her sore muscles. She turned to see Katara climbing down the side.

"Careful!" (Y/n) yelled, grabbing Katara and guiding her down. "You're going to hurt yourself."

Katara scoffed, rolling her eyes. "I'm fine. You don't have to baby me!"

(Y/n) sighed, crossing her arms as she watched Katara run alongside Aang, excited to explore his home.

Sokka placed his hand on her shoulder, stopping to stand next to her.

"You're too concerned," Sokka stated, staring at Katara and Aang. "You need to let her have some independence."

(Y/n) rolled her eyes. "Trust me. If I don't take care of her, something's bound to happen."

"Whatever you say."

Sokka walked alongside his older sister, following the eager avatar around the temple like parents watching their children at the park. Out of the corner of (Y/n)'s eye, she saw a dark red in the white snow. After making sure that Aang hadn't seen her, she bent the snow out of the way to uncover whatever was hidden beneath it. 'Fire Nation armor,' She thought to herself, picking up the helmet. It was cold to the touch, and the paint was worn down from years of snowfall. (Y/n) grimaced, dropping it back onto the ground. She covered it back up, continuing to walk with the group.

Sokka shot her a confused look, silently asking why she had strayed from the group. 'Fire Nation,' She mouthed, a serious look lacing her face. Sokka stared at her in shock, slowing his pace so she could catch up to him.

"We can't let Aang know," She whispered to him, watching Aang smile and jump around.

"You can't hide the truth from him forever."

(Y/n) stared at him for a second while shrugging her shoulders. They continued forward, stopping to admire the temple with the rest of the group. Aang ran around a statue, beaming up at it with pure and innocent joy. (Y/n) stood next to Katara, while Sokka grumbled about he was hungry.

"Guys! I want you to meet somebody." He gestured up to the statue. "This is Monk Gyatso. He's the greatest airbender in the world! He taught me everything I know."

(Y/n) felt Katara stiffen up next to her. She placed a hand on her shoulder, hoping to provide some sort of comfort. Aang bowed in front of the statue. He looked back up at it with regret and sadness.

"You must miss him a lot," (Y/n) whispered, walking beside him.

"Yea. I really do," Aang responded reaching for (Y/n)'s hand. She held his hand, squeezing it softly.

Aang began to walk forward, with the group following him.

"Where are we going?" Katara asked.

Aang looked back at her. "The Air Temple Sanctuary. There's someone I'm ready to meet."

(Y/n) let go of his hand, engulfing him in a big hug.

"Whatever you need, we'll be right behind you to help. Don't forget it."