ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ꜱɪx

(Y/n) felt disconnected from the group. She sat around a small fire, watching it flicker and eat up the log below it. Katara and Aang helped to set up a tent for her. It was clear to everyone that whatever happened at Omashu had left a scar, even if it was one they could not see. Sokka ran up to the group, a sack clenched in his fist. Aang eagerly jumped up, greeting Sokka.

"Hey! You're back! What's for dinner?"

Sokka groaned as he sat down with the group, his eyes nervously lingering on (Y/n) for a moment before reaching into the bag.

"Well-" He grabbed a handful of the nuts. "We've got a couple of options. We have some round-shaped nuts, some rock-shaped nuts-" He looked at it closer before tossing it behind his back. "You know what? They're probably just rocks."

Aang looked at Sokka in a confused manner, holding one in the palms of his hands. Katara looked at Sokka with a side-eye, clearly unimpressed.

"But seriously, what's for dinner?"

Sokka watched in horror as she tossed the nut across the campground.

"Hey! I worked really hard to get those!" He slumped in defeat. "It's just hard to hunt without (Y/n) help."

The group glanced over their shoulders, staring at (Y/n) who continued to watch the fire with a dull expression. Aang nervously laughed. Boom. The group shot up, looking around. (Y/n) tore her gaze away from the fire. Another large boom echoed throughout the forest. Without uttering a single word, (Y/n) launched herself forward and ran towards the source, looking for whatever was causing such a loud sound. Aang and Katara were quick to follow.

"Hey! Shouldn't we be running away from whatever's making that noise?" Seeing as no one stopped to listen to him, Sokka groaned and continued after the group.

(Y/n) glanced over a fallen tree, her eyes widening as she watched an earthbender push a giant boulder around with ease. The boy let out a small grunt, throwing the rock at a wall. (Y/n) stared at him, a glimmer appearing in her eyes. She needed a distraction after all.

(Y/n) bent the water flowing in a small creek beneath the earthbender's feet. She let out a small giggle, letting it tap on his shoulder. He turned around in shock, bending small pebbles at the blob of water. He realized no real human was behind him. He seemed to calm down, but confusion was evident on his face. (Y/n) bent the blob to form something that resembled a round human. The figure waved at the earthbender. He didn't wave back, taking a cautious step back.

"What are you?" He sneered, throwing a small rock at the water.

It landed harmlessly inside what looked like a stomach. (Y/n) let out a small laugh, watching the boy throw more stones into the blob. She bent the water again, forcing the human-like shape to change into a floating puddle, before moving it over the boy's head.

The boy looked up at the water with a confused face, but he seemed more comfortable with its presence. His shoulders loosened, and his eyebrows sat more naturally on his face rather than furrowed together. (Y/n) froze the water. She clenched her fist, and before the earthbender could move out of the way, the block of ice shattered into a million pieces, dusting him in a thin layer of snow. He looked confused for a moment. The rocks the boy had thrown at the blob creature fell onto him. He let out a small yelp as they hit the crown of his head.

(Y/n) let out a loud laugh, standing up from behind the tree clutching her stomach. The boy looked at her with a nervous look, still rubbing his head. (Y/n) didn't seem to notice though, continuing to laugh until her stomach was aching. She turned to him, waving shyly.