PROLOGUE

Prologue:

Alana

Sweat poured down my face. My hair sticking to my forehead and neck as I took in a deep breath, the cold air coming in from the open window filling my lungs as the curtains blew toward me. I never thought I'd see the inside of this room anytime soon. But here I am...

Robb holds my hand and sweat beads at his hairline as he watches me go through this pain. It was only a few hours ago I surely broke a bone or two in his hand from how hard I'd squeezed it. His blue eyes land on my hazel eyes again and I exhale and he gives me a nod of certainty.

"You're doing amazing." He tells me but I know he's lying. It's been hours... It started before the sun was even in the sky and now the sun is setting again. I know he's tired and so is Maester Luwin. "One more Alana... Just one more push."

I don't have it in me to keep going. I turn my head in the other direction to see my mother as she sits in a chair, a bowl of ice water in her lap and a rag in her hand. She's been patting my face and neck since the early morning hours to try to cool me down and keep me from feeling faint.

"Go ahead, flower." Mother says softly as her long blonde hair reaches her hip. "If I could birth five children, two of you being twins... You can certainly do this. Just this one baby." My mother had my twin brother Gendry and I without even a spoonful of milk of the poppy for the pain. She bit down on a rag and pushed us out while my father had been retching out the window of the birthing room. He never witnessed any of my other siblings being born after that.

I'm not my mother.

Cersei Lannister is Queen of Westeros but I'm only Queen of the North, a wedding gift from my father. He handed the North over to Robb and said it was one less kingdom for him to give a fuck about. My husband's father died from a fever he caught due to an injury from a hunting trip right before our wedding. My father hadn't been the same since losing his best friend and the north was Lord Eddard's home and a reminder of him. Robb would always be a reminder of him at every council meeting too. So he signed it over to us. Our problem now.

A burning in my lower half numbed my legs and I screamed from the pain. My throat becoming hoarse and tingling when I swallowed. I squeezed Robb's hand again and I know for certain another bone broke.

"He's almost out, Alana! I see his head!" Robb cheered as he looked down but then quickly looked back up nearly white as cotton linens. He swallowed hard and forced a smile at me but his face started to turn green.

Before I could speak he went over to the window and did exactly as my father once did. Robb was retching loudly out the window and gripping onto the edge of it for dear life. His right hand, the one I'd been destroying, was in fact ruined. His fingers were already bruising and it had swollen completely.

Robb wiped his mouth and then came back and sat next to me, taking a long sip of wine, swishing it around his mouth, then swallowing it. Taking another sip and swallowing hard before he smiled back at me.

"Just like Robert." My mother chuckled as she took the rag and cooled my forehead again. "Gods, it's history repeating again. Let us pray there isn't a second baby coming out with this one."

"Mother-" I tried to speak but my throat hurt far too much.

"Your Grace, one more push. It's all I ask." Maester Luwin said as he readied a blanket in his hand and then turned to Robb. "When I instruct you to do so, you must use the shears to cut the cord, Your Grace."