Chapter Three (Saera)

CHAPTER THREE

Saera

Present Day

"I hate him." It's been three days since my fight with my father but my mother wants me to make things right with him. She thinks if I act like the future queen that I'm meant to be that it'll prove to him that I'm the bigger person and that I can handle this.

She's wrong.

I'm nothing like my mother who has let my father step all over her since the day he married her. He does this thing where he'll shatter her heart and her dreams and then pick her some flowers from the garden, which aren't even pretty flowers like the ones she had in King's Landing by the way- yeah, my mother always tells me how beautiful the garden her mother has was, and he'll buy her some new gown or necklace or both and give her some sappy "I love you" speech about how they need each other and she fall for it every single time.

Then he does the same bullshit after a few months and the cycle repeats.

My mother doesn't even know the worst of it all. He just refuses to let her love him and it kills me to see my mother always waiting on him hand and foot like she's a fucking servant. I'm not even exaggerating when I say hand and foot either. She has literally taken his boots off for him in the library because he was "too tired" after a hunt to do it himself and she served him tea and anything else he had asked for. Which I'm pretty sure she had to do wifely duties for him in there too.

Disgusting.

"Saera-Rose, he is your father and he is trying." She was adamant.

I scoffed and rolled my eyes. "Trying to replace me as heir."

"He's a fool at times, I'll admit it." Mother said softly. "It's happened before in history where the realm did not want to accept a woman as heir. It caused a war bigger than your grandfather's rebellion. Maybe one of the biggest wars of all time-"

"I know Mother, I read all about it." My grandfather made me read about it the last time he came to visit, which was when Greyson was born. It's still odd to me that he and my Gran are coming to visit again but it's not like anything interesting is happening. They usually only come when my mother is with child. But she says she isn't.

And she doesn't act like she is at all. I learned from when she was pregnant with Greyson it's easy to tell when she's with child. And my father? He's like a blood hound for it. He knew my mother was pregnant before she did. Although I'm pretty sure he just always prays for her to be pregnant. My father would have a hoard of boys if he had his way.

I would have been fed to his pet wolf that he had when I had been born if he truly had his way. He would have shrugged it off and told my mother to just keep trying until they got a boy and they would have thrown out every girl until then.

"Your father loves you... He just has a strange way of showing love. To anyone, actually. His father and mother were not perfect and didn't set a good example for him." She explained softly. "My mother and father were not perfect either but they tried a bit harder than his parents did."

"Father is going to send me away, isn't he?" I've felt it for months now. I knew he would be planning something and when the topic of me being wed off was brought up the other day I knew my suspicions were right.

Mother shook her head. "No, you're not leaving Winterfell unless you wish to leave. My mother was sold to Robert Baratheon when she was 16. Had me and your Uncle Gendry when she was 17 and then had Uncle Joffrey soon after. I was 15 when I was sold to your father. Married him the day after I turned 18 and had you 9 months later. I will never, and I mean never allow for that to happen to you. And if your father bids otherwise I know my mother will take my side. Since the day you were born she has been on my side when it comes to protecting you. In ways she wishes she could have protected me. Which is why my sister, Myrcella, is as pampered and babied as she is. I took the brunt of all of it. I took all the darkness and I ate, I became it. To protect my sister and to protect you."