Chapter Nine (Alana)

CHAPTER NINE

Alana

Present Day

*SENSITIVE CONTENT WARNING*

None of this is going how I planned. I wanted to believe Robb was right and that I was having some sort of an imaginary fear when it came to my father, that my concerns were just that. Only concerns and little to no truth to them. But Robb was wrong. I was right.

Most women would love to brag to their husband that they're right and he's wrong. "A woman is always right." My mother used to tell me with a smirk on her face as she'd touch up her lipstick while looking in the mirror of her vanity. "Men are always wrong, my dear. Even when they're right. Never let a man know he's gotten to you though, my flower. It is your job as a Lannister to look down on a man. Even your own husband. You'll know that soon enough."

I was fifteen years old when she told me that.

But at fifteen I knew that men were wrong. It took me over a year to learn that men lie and men are wrong and do bad things to girls. Make them believe their stories and spread a misconception of love to them. I learned that and that's why I was sent to wed Robb Stark. To marry a man who would never hurt me or break my heart.

My father hand-selected Robb Stark himself. He knew in his heart that Robb would be the best fit for me. He's Ned Stark's son so why wouldn't he be? He's a fucking Stark for the sake of the Gods old and new. Honor runs through his blood.

At least it did long ago.

The look on Robb's face when like word vomit I spewed that I was pregnant for the first time since having Greyson two years ago made me feel so small. Like a child who'd just done something wrong.

It brought me back to being seven when I lived in the Red Keep with my parents and running through the halls knowing damn well I was not supposed to. Going into rooms that had been off limits simply because I wanted to test those limits. Gendry had dared me to go into my father's hunting room. All his weapons had been kept secure in there. Including his war hammer. The exact one that killed Rhaegar Targaryen on the Trident.

When I got into the room I stood there in complete awe staring at all the weapons around me. All types of steel. Glistening in the light that cast over them from the stain glass windows making the room hauntingly beautiful.

These weapons all killed someone or something.

My chest was rising and falling as I stared at each sword, morning star, hammer, and dagger that was just resting on the walls. Some hadn't been touched in years. But the crossbow was missing that normally was placed by the boar's head on the far-right side of the room. Father was hunting. He wouldn't catch me-

I was wrong.

It was rare that Robert Baratheon spoke down to me. But he didn't need to speak. I saw the look in his eyes. I disobeyed one of the few rules he had. Staying out of the hunting room. I was only curious, I was only a child, I... I did something wrong.

"There's rules in place for a reason, my little princess. To keep you and your brothers and sister safe. If Joffrey saw you come in here, what do you think he'd do? He'd follow you. He'd touch things he shouldn't touch and he'd get hurt or hurt someone else. I don't make rules to be mean. I make them to keep you safe. To keep the realm safe." He told me gently but his voice was deep. So deep that I felt it vibrate in my chest. The same feeling I get when I'm standing on the docks and a cannon shoots off a ship into the water. Father likes watching the cannons explode in the water and seeing how fish fly into the air and how the water sprays at us as we wait by the docks.