Chapter One (Saera)

CHAPTER ONE

Saera

17 years later...

"What would you do if I took my knife and sliced your hair to your shoulders?" My idiot brother, Jacerys asks me at breakfast as I sit at the table where I thought I'd be able to be alone to have my tea and read my book. His laugh roars and he sounds exactly like my grandfather who lives kingdoms away and yet my brother is somehow exactly like him. In all the worst ways.

I slam my book shut and glare at him. "If you so much as even blow on my hair I will cut your throat in your sleep." Having little brothers is the worst. Especially when your little brother is only two years younger than you. And then your youngest brother is only two years old. I have a fifteen-year age gap with my youngest brother. I'm just glad I was never put in charge of him like my father had been in charge of his youngest brother, my uncle Rickon.

"Saera-Rose!" My mother had been walking past me at the worst possible time. She didn't hear Jacerys's stupid comment but of course she heard my threat. I braced myself to be screamed at or sent to my father's office to be berated by him.

I held my breath but to my surprise my mother didn't scream the way I thought she would.

"Don't cut his throat in his sleep. Do it while he's awake, you always want to be sure when you kill your enemies you know they're looking at you." A wink as she leaned down to pick up my littlest brother Greyson.

Jacerys's jaw dropped and he ran over to mother and argued with her. "Mother! She threatened me!"

"She is to be your queen someday. You will respect your sister or I'll send you to be punished by your grandfather. Do you know what happened to the last boy who disrespected a beautiful Stark?" Mother said as she simultaneously picked a snot from Greyson's nose with a napkin.

Jace scoffed loudly. "If I have to hear the damn Battle of the Trident story one more time I'm going to throw up."

"How do you think the rest of us feel?" My father's voice boomed through the entire hall as he entered by the doorway that leads to the library. Greyson jumped from my mother's arms and ran to father.

Per usual, my father picked up Greyson and spun him around. Kissing his cheeks repeatedly and holding him in a way I know he's never held me. I folding my book under my arm and rose from the table. Bowing to my father as he is a king, and then went to exit the room.

"Woah," He put a hand out and blocked me from leaving. "Not so fast, Princess."

"Your Grace?" I stared at him and took note of how intimidating he truly was. My father would never hurt a fly but most people don't know that about him. His bark is far worse than his bite. It's when he yells that even thunder fears him.

His blue eyes that I didn't even inherit from him rolled at me. My youngest brother is his spitting image. I have my mother's hazel eyes and father's auburn hair. Jace has my mother's dark hair and hazel eyes while Greyson was the final shot at a kid who looks exactly like my father. That's why he's so babied. He has perfect auburn curls and father's blue eyes. I swear they even have the same freckles on their cheeks and nose.

Jace looks like our mother because of the eyes but his structure apparently is identical to our late grandfather Eddard. I only have an inkling of what he looked like because of the statue of him in the crypts and because my Uncle Jon looks most like him out of all the children. My Aunt Sansa cries whenever she looks at Jace and she spoils him rotten.