chapter- 4

Elaine

I can see the way he’s looking at me. How much he loathes me. How he is struggling to tolerate me and these grand halls.

I can read him like a magazine.

I can see how physically repelled he is feeling right now.

“Do you, Elaine, take Aurther to be your lawfully wedded husband, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer or for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, until death do you part?" Officiant announces.

As I gazed into his eyes, I could see his contempt rising with every word the officiant pronounced.

“I do” I could see him clenching his teeth as these words came out of my mouth.

"And do you, Aurther, take Elaine to be your lawfully wedded wife, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer or for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, until death do you part?"

With a clenched fist, barely concealing his disdain after a few second pause he said,

“I do”

He was looking straight in my eyes now, piercing glares.

"You may now exchange rings as a symbol of your love and commitment to each other."

His fingertips are red from holding the ring too tight. I could see the way his clenched fist, unclenched to hold my other hand and how resistant he was feeling about it. I held my hand upward myself, so he won’t need to detest the ceremony. He again clenched his hand as if hating my gesture more. His touch sent shivers down my spine, filled with a silent disgust that cut deeper than any blade. 

When it was my turn, he held his hand high and extended to make sure he was not in any contact with my fingers, even a bit. As if he’ll get filthy just by my mere touch.

"You may now seal your union with a kiss.” The official announced.

I looked at him, his eyes showcasing fury, I couldn’t help myself but look down. I don’t want to be kissed by someone who hates me this much.

“Let’s get this over with” he said under his breath, still with his clenched jaw

His eyes remained cold and distant as they locked onto mine. With measured steps, he closed the gap between us, his movements calculated and deliberate.

My heart fluttered as he came closer, his lips met mine, just a slight touch, and parted, devoid of any emotions.

As the applause of the guests filled the air, my heart sank when I saw Aurther wiping his mouth with the back of his hand as if he kissed something sinful. With the realization that my marriage to Arthur would be a union built on resentment and bitterness. I turned to face the guests together, I hope I can fulfill my duties and get what I desire at last.

May all this be worth every dagger that is piercing in my heart.