Another Side to the Story

We, as writers, focus so heavily on how things sound to us.

On how nicely something may roll off the tongue,

Which configuration of words is best suited to rise above the others works that convey the same message.

We know that readers will inevitably choose the piece of work that sounds the most pleasing, the most fluent, the most rhythmic piece over the others.

But sometimes, we begin to take this too far,

But thinking of ways to encrypt our message or theme within these oh so seductive metaphors and similes.

We sway the readers towards the enigma that is what is placed in front of them, so they are more likely to decipher it, and we the writers just stand back to see if they can crack the code.

Can they do it? Can they decipher through the similes and metaphors to find the true meaning?

But the real question is whether we want them to crack the code.

Do we want them to have the grand prize, or do we want them to surrender?

Or maybe these complex similes and metaphors are just our security blankets.

We see that they cannot decipher them so we feel superior,

Like its a contest with the reader and the writer.

Or maybe, we disguise our themes in thick complex metaphors and similes because that is what makes it unique.

We want to remain incomparable to other pieces so they don't see that they are all the same.

We all as writers try to capture all aspects of human emotion into words,

To somehow describe the indescribable.

Sometimes it can get lost when we try to make something so simply indescribable so complex.

Some may say this, right here is the east way out, just explaining it all with no fancy metaphors.

Who knows maybe it is.

Maybe it isn't.