Chapter 10: Wings of Light

The stadium was packed with wild, raging fans chomping at the bit. The title duel was mere minutes away. Joey Wheeler had his butt parked in the blue plastic chair for the past hour waiting for this moment. He'd already chewed through his pretzel, and sips of his soda produced only air. "Come ooon! How much longer izzit gonna be?"

"Can't complain when you're the one who showed up early," Tristan commented beside him.

"We got front row seats, dude! We couldn't just waltz on forward after everyone'd gotten here! I bet some drunk dude would spill on my new jacket!"

"It's always about the jacket."

Joey grasped the lapels of his navy windbreaker. "You wish you could have a bomb-ass jacket like-"

"Stop it," Téa said. "First of all, no more bickering. Second of all, could you take off those paper crown things? They're creeping me out."

Joey's finger grazed the strap on his forehead. The stands had been giving out the designs to match Yugi's wild hairstyle. Joey said, "No chance. We're showing our support for Yug loud 'n' proud!"

Téa dragged her palm over her face, and it had no effect on Joey's grin. Tristan said, "Hey, guys. Don't you think it's weird how this seat isn't taken yet?"

All eyes landed on the empty spot beside them. Joey said, "Poor sucker prolly got stuck in traffic. This's why I got here early!"

Melodies trumpeted from the loudspeakers, and smoke poured from an entryway below the trio. Joey leapt to his feet. The jumbotron displayed the name Yugi Muto, and clips from Battle City played. The MC on the mic announced, "Introducing the man who needs no introduction, the King of Games himself, Yuuugi Muuuutooooo!"

The legend himself strode towards the center of the arena. The jacket draped over his shoulders flowed behind him like a cape. His Puzzle glinted in the sunlight. Yugi's expression was solemn as it had been since the loss. Joey saw a spark he didn't before, though; he noticed the determination that had sprouted in Yugi since Joey had told him his match would be against you-know-who.

The crowd roared and the trio joined in. After they died down, a familiar voice piped up, "Goodness! Looks like I made it right in the nick of time!"

Joey and Tristan were stunned into silence. Téa managed, "B-Bakura? Why are you here? You said you were on vacation!"

"My sincerest apologies," he said with that usual smile of his. Joey couldn't shake the feeling there was something creepy about it. He scolded himself for letting the Millennium Ring impact his opinion of his friend. Bakura continued, "In truth, I've been in Domino City the entire time. I asked to get a ticket near to yours so I could talk to you all again. I- gosh, I'm nervous, but I'd like to tell you the whole truth."

Joey squinted. "Whole truth about what, exactly?"

"Of what I've been going through, and why the main reason I'm here is less to see Yugi win again and more to see her."

"Her who?" Tristan said.

"And his opponent!" the MC shouted. "Rahlin Orichalcum!"

The chick appeared as uncomfortable as she always did. She had a tight hold on her tie as she crossed the arena. Her focus was on her moving feet. Joey said, "Tell me you don't mean the chick."

Bakura answered with a wider smile. "I understand you are not partial to her, but I'd like to explain why I am."

/\/\/\/\/\/\/