Chapter 3: Forever Is a Long Time

Morning dew trickled down the foggy windowpane. Silence settled between the beeps of the monitor in the hospital room. Though the lights in the room were dimmed, Yugi could see the doctor's fallen face; he and his friends matched it. She said, "I'm sorry. The cause of his comatose state is a mystery. We'll keep an eye on him, but the outlook is grim."

The gloom weighed heavier on the gathered group as the doctor took her leave. They watched Duke's painfully pale face framed by his strewn black locks. The taller, blond-haired boy said, "Y'know, I wasn't the guy's biggest fan, but damn. Isn't there anything we can do for him?"

"I'm sure there is, Joey," Yugi said. "This goes beyond medical phenomenon. I'm certain this has to do with the people who stole my god cards. When they talked about taking our souls, I doubt they were joking."

"You mean those biker freaks took Duke's soul?"

"With Yugi around, I won't put anything out of the realm of possibility," Tristan said. "That doesn't really mean I wanna get tangled up in it again, though... 'Specially if that means I'll end up like dice boy over there."

Téa elbowed him. "Hey! Where's your sympathy? Duke's our friend!"

"Yeah, yeah, you're right. Sorry. It is pretty sad he can't even yell at me for calling him that. Hey, I got it! I'll tell him about it after he's all better."

"Least you got the optimism down, huh," Joey commented. "Spread some of that to Serenity. She hasn't even left her room since it happened, and I can hear her cryin.'"

Tristan stood straighter and clapped a hand on Joey's shoulder. "I'll do it, and I'll rescue Duke to boot. How's that sound?"

"Too good to be true - 'specially when it comes to you."

Before they could get into another round of bickering, Téa cleared her throat loud enough to say she meant business. She readjusted her bag over the shoulder of her pink blazer. "If we stay longer, we'll be late for school."

Yugi sighed. "I won't be able to focus. On top of everything else, Kaiba's company is supposedly announcing a new tournament today."

"Already? Battle City finished up, like, a couple weeks ago!" Tristan exclaimed.

"Rich boy's oblivious as always. He's tryna set up another chance to take the crown from Yug. God cards or no god cards, he's got no chance."

"Didn't you hear?" Téa asked. "Kaiba doesn't own his company anymore. I hear some foreign firm bought out majority. He might not have anything to do with it."

"I'll believe that when pigs fly," Joey mumbled.

"Joey! It's in the newspaper we're supposed to read for our business course!"

"You actually read that thing?" he said.

Tristan snorted. "Nerd."

"I don't think actually doing the classwork makes her a nerd," Yugi said.

Joey placed his hand on Yugi's back and gently pushed him towards the door. "Let's save the arguing 'till after I've had my coffee, kay?"

/\/\/\/\/\/\/

The bright lighting in the museum dulled Rebecca's wits. She rubbed at her temples, but her drowsiness remained. She might've dozed off right there if it weren't for the unnatural cold emanating from the frozen stone tablet in the back of the room. She resisted the urge to rub at the goosebumps on her legs.