Chapter 17: Love Thine Enemy

The half-moon peeked through holes in scattering storm clouds. I sprinted south, away from the wasteland of garbage and towards civilization. I scrambled over piles of trash. My foot caught on a tossed tire. I tumbled head-over-heels, and my back slammed into a pile of discarded appliances.

I huffed a shaky sigh and didn't bother getting up. Tears plinked against the metal buried beneath me. Another person clambered through the garbage piles. They sat upon a console resting on a pile above me.

I whimpered, "Please just leave me alone."

"Oh, um, sorry, Rain."

"Luna?" I muttered. She sat on her folded legs, and her hands grasped her white shorts. The light from her forearm left me awash in crimson. "What're you doing here?"

"We were around here to watch Yusei's duel. I was on my way back with Leo and Jack when my mark started acting up. The Crimson Dragon showed me what happened. It's, um, kind of amazing. Maybe it's not my place to say and I'm sorry. The way Kalin talked about you during the duel, though, made it sound like there was no way you'd turn him down. Seeing you stand up to him was awesome. You're a total hero."

"He... talked about me? You saw everything?"

"Mhmmm. It's weird. During the duel, he was always angry and yelling - especially when Yusei brought you up. When he talked to you, he was like a whole different person."

I covered my face with my crossed arms and sobbed. Luna mumbled, "Should I not have said that? 'M sorry."

"What are you doing?" bellowed Jack's voice from behind her. "We don't have time to-"

He gasped at the sight of me. Luna said, "I found Rain. She saw Kalin."

"You saw..." His expression fell neutral. Jack reached towards me. "Let me help. We're getting you out of here."

The sight of a second outstretched hand left me grimacing. I had to make it back, though. I had to make sure Yusei was okay. I took heart in the crimson glow, clasped his arm, and stood with his support. Jack helped me out of the trash heap and towards the street.

Moonlight guided our way back to Martha's. The Satellite streets were eerily quiet. Luna and Leo followed us without a word. After a shaky exhale, I squeaked, "Jack?"

"Hm?"

"Why did he do that to us?"

"You should know more than anyone. Here's the situation. Yusei suffered a horrid crash, so Crow drove him back on his runner. Akiza followed behind with Yusei's broken duel runner. I was left with the twins and now you."

Luna hurried ahead to match my pace. She grasped my hand. "Lucky I found you."

She was still trying to keep the Crimson Dragon a secret. Leo said, "Pfft. I don't get why everyone was so worried. Rain's obviously not gonna become a bad guy because-"

Luna smacked Leo on the arm. He whined and rubbed the afflicted area. I mumbled, "Will Yusei be okay?"

"Dunno!" Leo said. "That Kalin dude's strong as he is crazy! Yusei woulda been toast if the Crimson Dragon didn't show up. Hey, Rain. Everybody was saying you and the crazy dude are in love, but I said nooo way. Because he's, y'know, and you're... You get it, right? There's no way."

My weeping worsened. I bit on my knuckle to try to stop. "I'm s-sorry. It's my fault this happened. It's my fault Yusei-"

"Don't even start," Jack cut in. "You can't blame yourself. There's nothing you could have done, so lay off. This was all his doing."