Chapter 15: Shadows at Twilight

The urge to twirl hair around my finger, bite my nails, or chew my lip was smothered by the incomprehensible weight upon my limbs. Any attempt to so much as curl my pinkie toe failed.

Lazar scanned the crisp paper in his gloved hand. My heartbeat accelerated with each line his eyes rolled down. His pinched hold on the paper intensified, and his nose crinkled.

The knots in my stomach loosened.

"Support her," he commanded the guards. "She likely can't walk."

The pair carried me by my shoulders back through the basement, up the stairs, and into Godwin's office. My sagging head could only watch my feet drag along the plush carpet. I swallowed hard. "Um. D'you think- may I have some water?"

"If the Director so allows it," Lazar stated.

"Oh," I murmured. My tongue felt too big for my mouth. I curled it, dreaming of the fountain outside. "Is it really that big of a deal? I thought I was supposed to be a guest."

A stupid thing to say after being forcefully dragged to painful experimentation, but hey, I was thirsty. Sayer taught me to really appreciate access to hydration.

Lazar scoffed and turned on his heel. "A guest? You think vermin such as yourself deserves to be a guest anywhere? Quite frankly, a Satellite who performed acts of terrorism against Sector Security is lucky to be alive. You are marked for a reason, and that means you will never be a guest anywhere; your existence trespasses on the world."

Wow. I just wanted was a cup of water and instead I felt like I'd rather disappear. I murmured, "I didn't actually- the bombs weren't me. I tried to stop him, I mean."

"What do you think associating with a terrorist makes you?" he accused. "Trying and failing to prevent the hospitalization of so many makes you equivalent to the perpetrator. That is, your failed attempt and your successful act of aiding his escape."

My gaze unfocused, blurring the boots of the Securities carrying me. Maybe he was right. Maybe, all that happened in the Facility and on the run - maybe it was what I deserved.

"We're here." I could hear the smile in his voice when he said, "Stand up straight for the good Director!"

The hinges whined. The Securities released me so I fell flat on my face. His snicker left my snarl wanting to show if not for my numbed muscles. Lazar said, "Results blank, sir. Truly sorry."

"My, my," Godwin muttered. "Either the Dragon is good at hide and seek, or you truly don't possess its power."

A strong arm looped around my waist and pulled me up. I slumped against someone wearing plush leather. They bellowed, "What the hell did you do to Rain?"

I almost didn't recognize the familiar, accented voice. I wanted to say something to Jack. Realizing he was the one holding me up left me too shocked. Kinda weird. I couldn't imagine Jack so much as touching me.

Gee, I must've looked pitiful.

Rex Godwin said, "I had to search her for readings of the Crimson Dragon. If we could find his chosen vessel and bring them to our side this early, we could be unstoppable to the Dark Signers.

"We checked everyone else from the Facility, which is the last place the Crimson Dragon appeared on our sensors. That means there is one person left unchecked. Rain, where is Kalin Kessler?"