Chapter 8: It's Her

**Mature content ahead – reader discretion advised**

Vash

Soft snores roll through her lips as the suns' gentle haze glides across her skin, giving her a golden glow. I smile, tucking some loose hair behind her ear.

She feels so warm, her body heat humming against me as her heart beats. It sings a slow and steady song that mine recognizes. It wraps around and lulls me, setting mine at ease.

I smirk. That wasn't the start to my day that I was expecting. Her bursting in here, yanking me from sleep. Or from the sleep I was chasing.

I haven't slept much over the last week. My mind has been too wild, occupied with worrying about everything. Wondering how I can help the people of Jeneora Rock. Mapping a way to get to Nai without dragging anyone with me. And now, kicking myself for everything that's happened between her and me.

Never once did I ever dream this could happen. I accidentally impregnated a woman. Throughout my youth, I was always told that was impossible. They told me I could never reproduce. They said I could never have children. That I was infertile. And I believed that. I had no reason not to.

Granted, I haven't had many lovers. Just a small handful of three, but each was so long ago. I was at least sixty when I bedded my last. Ninety years. That's a long time. Sometime between then and now, I guess things changed.

No. There is no guessing. Things did change. Something in my body snapped or awoke, and now because of my recklessness, we are in this situation. That's how we ended up here. That's how we fell to this.

And I guess we're both in disarray, exhausted, and nothing more than shells of ourselves.

She's right. Neither of us planned this. This wasn't even supposed to be possible. But we're here, her curled against me, finally sleeping for the first time in days. The burning of my eyes begs me to follow her lead and drift away.

I want to. The feeling of her against me and knowing that – as far as I can tell – she's fine makes me want to just melt away with her, and I don't even know how she does this to me. She is like an enchantress casting spells over me, causing me to fall harder and harder for her.

And I know I am. I can feel myself slip more and more, bringing me to her feet. As if I am kneeling before her. Praising her as if she is a goddess.

She's not, though. I know she's not. She's just a normal, regular human woman, but God, divinity must run through her. Whenever I am with her, it feels as if I should be worshipping her. And no one has ever made me feel this way before. Never. Not until her.

Softly, I press my lips to her forehead, smelling her shampoo. Like lavender and teak. Scents she wouldn't quite know, but that I recognize from my time on Ship 5. I guess after the Great Fall, mankind found a way to recreate these familiar scents. Perfumes of their old home on Earth.

I wonder what a life on Earth would be like. The trees and plants, the flowers and oceans. The various animals and the different kinds of people. I wonder what that would be like, and I wonder what a life with her there would be like.

I'm sure life as I know it would be different. Maybe not as harsh and complicated. Maybe not as frightful and bitter. Maybe...maybe she'd even...

I shake my head and rest against my pillow. I need to stop and pull myself from that. Thinking about something that intimate and hopeful is just stupid. At the end of the day, we still barely know each other. Not like we should. Not like two people about to have a baby.

My throat becomes tight.

Over these last few days, I've thought of many things. All as equally dire as the last, but not once did I allow myself to think about this. About the baby. About my baby. The baby that shouldn't exist.

And to be honest, I still don't know what to think. I don't know what to feel. If things were different, I almost think I'd be happy... Maybe even excited. After all, this was never supposed to happen. But Lei...

She is not happy, and I do not blame her. She is scared and there are so many uncertainties. No cross-breed hybrid has ever been heard of before, so anything is likely to happen. Anything.

I shudder. As much as I want this baby to be born happy and healthy, glowing with life, I don't want it to cost Lei hers. So, if at the end of the day, we have to choose between it and Lei, I choose her.

I choose her life.

**Bello lovelies! So, another post smexy chapter with a look into Vash's head. He is feeling all sorts of things (just like someone else we know). It's about time we get to see how he's doing. Turns out he's having it rough too. Obviously, he isn't going through the exact same thing as Leilani, but he's still going through something. He's scared and worried, and as we've learned, is aware that this pregnancy could turn south. If that happens, he already has made his choice and that is to save Leilani. Now, that was why I included the content warning. I know not everyone may agree with a choice like that (and that is perfectly fine). However, that is what he has chosen. Will he have to actually follow through with that decision? Hopefully, not. But I guess we'll have to wait to see where this all takes us. Stay tuned! As always, thank y'all so, so much for everything! Y'all are the bee's knees! Wuv yous!! <3**

-Noel Ross