16

˗ˏˋ꒰ 🍒 ꒱ you can't help but become the sun
BOYGENUIS^

LUKE

I HAD always known Lorelei can talk, chatting up anything that had meaning to it;which was practically everything.

"And now, Dylan is being super weird towards her." She shook her head, my arm drapped over her shoulder as she leaned into my side. "I mean, why even bother being with someone? It's if it's not even genuine."

I looked down at her, her dark eyes peering up to meet mine. "It's Dylan, Lo. What did you expect? He's my best friend, when things get to situated, he cracks."

Lorelei tucked her hair behind her ears, lacing her fingers with my own. "I know, I just feel bad for Ellie."

"I know." I attempted to console her. "How about this, we'll get your mind off it tonight. There's, uh, this gallery thing."

"What gallery thing?" She cocked a brow at me, watching me stutter.

I shook my head, blowing out a breath. "They talk about authors and stuff. It's twenty minutes from campus but I just thought it'd be nice."

"You want to go to an author gallery with me?" Lorelei repeated in disbelief. "Like, seriously? 'Cause that's not a funny joke."

"I'm being serious, Lo." I nodded with a hum, digging in my right pocket as I pulled out two tickets. "Two tickets for two hours. Unless you have better plans tonight."

Lorelei nudged my rib slightly with her elbow. "You know I don't have other plans. I thought you would, considering you're Mr. Popular."

"Nah." I kissed the side of her head, feeling her squirm. "I'm never to busy for you."

"You're so cheesy." Lorelei tried to hide her grin, squeezing her eyes shut.

I halted my feet, pulling her to my chest by her lower back, watching her eyes widen. This was close proximity for us, especially considering it was daylight and we were in the middle of campus where wondering eyes were lingering.

"Take that back, Lorelei." I narrowed my eyes at her, watching her expression carefully.

She pulled her bottom lip between her teeth. "I'll pass but thanks. Just because we're a little something, doesn't mean you're not still my public enemy."

I rolled my eyes as we started walking again. "Seriously? Will you ever let that go?"

"Nah." She mocked with a snort. "I really hope you don't break my heart, Luke."

For some reason, her words made me shiver. I shrugged, playing it off. "Depends on if you break mine first."

"Yeah, I definitely will." She winked, scrunching her nose. "Oh, I meant to bring this up to you. Mark told me you talked to him."

I ran my hand down my chin, the memories of last night flooding through my mind quickly.

"I don't give a shit, Mark. Stay away from her." I spat angrily, watching him untie his skates, a fresh practice sweat coating his body.

"Why, Hughes?" Mark clicked his tongue, seemingly not caring. Not one bit. "You're just gonna fuck her over. Might as well share."

I slammed my palm against my locker, bringing immediate silence to any other conversations in the locker room. "Fuck you, Estapa. Just stay the fuck away from her. And mind your own business."

"Did he?" I hummed. "I can't say I recall ever talking to him."

"Really?" Lorelei exhaled, brining my knuckles to her lips. "So, you didn't tell him to stay away from me? Or as he described it, threaten."

Classic Mark. "I didn't threaten anyone." I argued, feeling I was right. He had no right to go near her.

"I think it's sweet." Lorelei shrugged. "I love when guys fight over me."

I used my hand to cover her mouth, feeling her twitch to shove my grip off, hitting me in the chest slightly in annoyance.

"Watch it." She warned, turning her back on me as she walked up the steps to her apartment, leaving me just below the porch.

"Does that mean you're gonna ghost me tonight?" I asked, shouting slightly from our distance.

She turned around to face me, turning her key in the lick as she opened the door. "Not if you pick me up. I don't like to drive."

"You never seem to." I taunted, watching her flip me off. "It starts at eight. I'll pick you up at seven. Be ready and wear something nice!"

"You first!" She stuck her tongue out before disappearing inside her house, shutting the door.

I could still feel the smile pulling on my lips even after I began to walk away from her house. I had never been a relationship type of guy, not even a flower type of guy.

But Lorelei made me feel a way I had never felt before, about anything. Like, anytime I would see her I would get nervous, being in her presence was too much to ask for on its own.

And I couldn't believe that I was spending every last moment with her.

lovers