09

˗ˏˋ꒰ 🍒 ꒱ i only see him as a friend
(the biggest lie i ever said)
OLIVIA RODRIGO^

LORELEI

I KNOW I said I hated hockey games, the sport, the players, everything about it. But here I was, stepping into Yost Arena, decked out in the color maize.

To say hockey was a big part of Umich's culture, would be far from dramatic. From banners covering the walls to students here fighting over tickets just to see our team compete, hockey was life.

I spotted Ellie in the stands, waving her hand like a manic towards me. This had been my first game and I swore I'd never be in attendance at any hockey game but here I was.

"Oh, hello." Ellie squeaked, patting the open spot beside her. Ellie had made sure we were on the glass, insisting I needed to get the full experience and I found myself wanting to tell her it wasn't the NHL.

"Hey." I nodded, glancing out to center ice as I could spot the two different teams. We had been facing off against Ohio State, which had been one of our biggest rivals, in every sport. "It's really packed here."

I could see the sea of red across the glass on the other side and I wondered if people drove almost three hours just to see a hockey game.

"Duh." Ellie scoffed, shoving skittles into her mouth. "I still cannot believe you asked me to go. Usually it's the other way around."

I shrugged, crossing my legs as I let my gaze drift back to the ice. "I was just bored, you know? I'm trying to get the full college experience. I figured I should start somewhere."

That's when I spotted him. With his tall, lean figure, bending over slightly with his stick in hand, talking to Ethan Edwards, I knew it was Luke. And even with his back facing me, I didn't need to see his last name, it was easy to spot him.

"Right. And is your college experience also involving Luke Hughes?" Ellie nudged me, taking me out of my daze.

"What?" I hit her arm gently with a shake of my head. "He's on the team, Ellie. It's kinda hard to ignore him when he's literally playing."

Ellie just hummed. Ellie could see through me like glass and I hated it in times like these. I hated lying but sometimes it was easier than facing the truth.

"Plus, do you even think he cares that I'm coming?"
I played it off despite it being a genuine question. "It's a mutual hatred."

Ellie leaned back, the echoing of fans whooing as the puck was dropped for face off. "Oh, I made sure Dylan told him you'd be in attendance. And, Lorelei, stop with the hatred thing. You told me freshman year you could never hate anyone."

"Strongly dislike, then." I attempted to correct myself.

Ellie snorted, rolling her dark eyes. "Whatever you say. We both know you're full of shit."

"How am I full of shit?" I asked, slightly offended.

Ellie glanced at me with a quirk of her brow. "Seriously, Lei? Okay, fine. You didn't go out for that entire week after you meet him because you were scared to run into him."

"I was embarrassed." I argued, feeling my face begin to grow hot. "He had called me a bitch in front of his teammates, and mind you, everyone here knows them."

Ellie shook her head at me. "You're in denial, babe. You really hate him?"

I couldn't bring myself to look at her as I nodded.

"Okay." Ellie sighed lowly. "Then, you won't let him control your life. You're coming out tonight. The team always throws after their games. We'll see how much you really hate him."

I didn't respond because I didn't know how but a part of me grew giddy at the thought of seeing Luke off the ice. A feeling that I wanted to burn out and never feel again. But the more I watched him, the more my head spun.

He moved quick on the ice like it was made for him. His hands were fast and got the puck exactly where he wanted it to go, his legs long for him to glide past players, and his cocky attitude that you could point out from a mile away.

By the end of the game, not many words were spoken between Ellie and I. Mainly because I had never felt so invested in a game in my life, maybe it had run in the family.

We had won with a two goal differential and the boys were on a post-win high as they celebrated on the ice, hugging each other and I thought this had to the peak of bromance.

I felt all time stop around me as Michigan's bench neared our side of the glass as they decided to hype up the student section who was already loud to begin with.

Luke skated right up to the glass, his eyes working quickly as he seemed to be looking for something;someone. And then they stopped searching because they landed on me.

He brought his hand to his mouth, taking him mouth guard out to reveal the pearly whites as he smiled at me. He shot me a quick wink before getting jumped on by his teammates.

I didn't want to believe that was for me as I glanced around to find the section we'd been sitting in to be remotely empty making me his target.

I could practically hear the smirk on Ellie's lips. "Hate each other? Are we still on about that?"

"Just shut up." I cut her off as I placed my hand between us in a hushing manner.

luke hughes the man that u are