Jeopardised, Part Two

My heart races as I arrive at Maya's gate. Thankfully, it's open, so I can drive right in. Their parking area is huge but crowded. I notice a big wooden table sitting oddly on the gravel, with two fancy leather chairs beside it. And over to my right, I see a bunch of movers carrying boxes. This quickly? Really? One of them sets a box down and heads towards my car. I flash him a grin and ask, "Hey, what's happening here?"

"Who are you, young man?" he asks, there's foreign accent, his frown deep and his gaze suspicious.

"Just a friend of Maya's... is she...?"

He nods wearily towards the front door. "The poor girl's been exiled to the backyard ever since her parents turned the living room into a war zone." He sizes me up again. "Aren't you Makana's kid?" I nod.

"Well then, pretty boy, your car needs to go. We've got heavy lifting to do, and we can't promise to keep your car looking all... glossy."

I sigh in frustration and reverse out of the gate. Leaving my dad's Ferrari parked on the street doesn't sit well with me. But... sometimes you have to take risks. Besides, Maya's house is nestled near the mountain hills, so there aren't many neighbors around.

I lock the car and hurry back through the gate. The afternoon sun beats down, and after just ten minutes out the wind, I can feel sweat trickling down my back. As I get closer to the porch, their voices get louder, and I start feeling uneasy about being here.

"And where do you expect Maya to go?! Huh?! Is it always about you?!" Mr. Davis's voice booms with frustration and anger.

"Me? Only thinking of myself?!" Mrs. Davis's response sounds worn out.

"I think it's best to let Maya decide for herself what she wants to do... You've put this family through enough, and we're all just trying to figure it out. So maybe stop acting like an impatient child..."

I walk off the porch, not needing to hear any more. The hot sun makes me crave the ocean. Taking a deep breath, I contemplate... Should I go to Maya? Maybe this was a crazy idea, I could just spend the day with Nick and Tarek, go to the beach... I could take her with me? Would she even want that...

I pace around the front yard, feeling the eyes of the workers on me as they carry on with their tasks of loading boxes onto the bus. "Boy, just go down the side path! Maya's out back!"An old lady emerges from the loading truck, flashing me a smile and a wink. Her eyes mirror Maya's, her face etched with wrinkles, and her smile radiates warmth. Is she perhaps a grandmother?

"Thanks," I say with a grateful smile, then quickly dart past the house, hearing the old lady chuckle behind me.

Okay, I guess I'm going for it. Walking down the side path, I glance through the window and see them bustling around the living room, talking and arguing. I try to tune it out, feeling a bit awkward being in their family drama. I stroll down the path toward the backyard. Their garden is filled with flowers, bushes, and grass, with a gravel path winding through it all. Little hills dot the landscape, making it feel like a sanctuary. Tall bush fences enclose the yard, giving it a sense of privacy. There's a small pool in front of the house, along with a lounge, but there's no one around...

As I walk further into the serene atmosphere, I can't help but let out a breath of admiration. This place is stunning in the summer. And then, I finally spot her: her hair dancing in the breeze, her back to me as she sits on a wooden swing under a blossoming tree. Wearing a beige coloured sundress...

My heart stops. She's probably going to hate that I'm here. What should I even say? Fuck...

I walk around, down the hill of the garden, she lifts her head in surprise, her big eyes filled with tears, her cheeks red from crying, and her make-up messed up a little bit...