Stay Quiet or They Might Hear Us

As Alani and I stroll down the grand hotel hallway, we approach a spacious cinema room where nearly two hundred people can gather. The walls, adorned in rich burgundy red, bathe the area in a warm inviting glow. Alani's breath catches as she admires the elegant wall decor, while the soft lighting creates a comfortable ambiance. It smells of fresh carpet and luxury.

Among the attendees, there's a mix of old, rich people, and students our age, all dressed in expensive tuxedos and tight dresses, adding to the glamorous scene.

I'm dressed in my mother's favorite dark blue silk dress, its intricate patterns wrapping snugly around my waist. Though I'm unsure why she insisted on it for tonight, I can't deny feeling beautiful in it.

"You're unusually confident..." Alani whispers in my ear, flashing a smirk. "It's the dress, right?" she adds with a wink. I can't help but smile, it is the dress. We laugh together, both feeling pretty as we descend the steps.

As Alani twirls gracefully down the steps in her ridiculously high heels, I'm amazed at her balance. She squeals with excitement, "Tarek's coming tonight!" I roll my eyes and sigh, replying, "I know... and so is Koa..."

I bite my lip, feeling uneasy at the thought of talking to him tonight, my stomach starts knotting up. "You're worried about him? You know... Sera's also coming." She shoots me a warning glance, a serious one.

I look over to my parents who have already found our seats and are calling for us, I admit, "I hope not to encounter her because I have not replied to any of Sera's texts."

Alani sighs disappointedly, "I pray for this woman's destiny every day."

We navigate through the seats, politely asking people to stand so we can reach ours. As I maneuver, gripping the seats in front of me, I slide past someone familiar. And there, right in front of me, on the other side of the red seats, stands Sera... in the most stunning white dress I've ever seen in my life.

"Hi, Maya..." she says, her gaze filled with pain. It strikes me right at the heart; seeing her in real life changes everything.

Alani, still standing next to me, states in a very serious manner, "Sera, if I didn't know you personally right now, I would have ripped that dress off your body."

Sera giggles softly, casting a beautiful smile while gazing at the ground. I'm mesmerized, my mouth casually falling open in admiration. Realizing how I've been treating her lately makes me feel nauseous, and really self-concious, I hate myself right now.

Breaking the awkward silence, with people still waiting on both sides, an old man gives me a judgmental look. Ignoring it, I continue, "I'm so sorry, Sera. We should talk."

Once more, I'm interrupted, this time by my mother, a bit further along the seats. "Maya! Alani!" She calls out excitedly. "We've been invited by the Makana family to join them on the balcony area." I glance over to see my father already making his way up the steps. My mother points upward, smiling brightly, indicating the direction of the balcony.

And when I look up, there he sits... with his slick dark hair and black tuxedo, leaning against the railing with a cigarette in his hand. His father, holding a fat cigar, stands beside him. He waves kindly at us. However, Koa's expression is less welcoming; he can't seem to take his eyes off me, but his face is twisted with disgust. It really stings...

But I'm sure he's hurting too... after seeing what happened at the fair.

I glance at Sera once more, who's also watching Koa before turning to me with a betrayed look. "Him? Seriously?" Tears start to well up in her eyes, but before I can respond, she runs off towards the exit, her dress flowing behind her.