Secrets Hidden in The Office, Part Two

Our grand staircase offers a sweeping view of the entire living room. I pause in the center of the stairs, gathering myself before continuing my descent. I look out as guests arrive at our house, my mother swings open the large doors to our garden that's lit with warm orange lights. Though not as grand as Koa's, our home was roomy, but old. The living room was expansive, boasting a large fire pit. Mom had adorned our entire place in warm browns and wood, with leather couches adorned with vibrant pillows and art gracing every corner. With the sun setting, our guests mingled and explored the living room.

They were all key investors for the resort my father and Marcus Makana are planning to build together—bald old men in dull gray suits, not the most engaging people to talk to. However, there were also young attendees, sons and daughters...

With some of the investors traveling far for this event, my father had been on edge all week for it. There are even Japanese investors here who speak little English. My mother is chatting with a beautiful Japanese woman who's admiring her remarkable art collection. I'm guessing she's the investor's wife?

As I descend the stairs I see Koa and my father are by the hallway leading to the garage, chatting... I'm clueless about their discussion and prefer to stay that way. Suddenly, my father glances at me, unable to escape the hallway in time. He asks if everythings okay. Koa gives me a similar questioning look, tinged with suspicion when he spots Sera descending the stairs behind me.

"Yes, just..." I stutter, my mind drawing complete blanks.

"I needed some advice... girl talk, sorry it took so long," Sera says with a wink to my father, causing Koa to furrow his brow in frustration. However, my dad nods understandingly, and we quietly make our exit.

Sera trails off to her father without saying another word... does she hate me now?

I approach my mother, who's still engaged in conversation with the captivatingly elegant lady. "Oh, you must be Maya," she says, her calm, nurturing voice drawing me into the discussion. Her English is impeccable, far surpassing the other men she came with. Is she the translator? "Maya, meet Mei Kobayashi, founder and CEO of Opal LuxStay," my mother introduces. I stand corrected, but I couldn't be happier. Finally, a woman in charge. With a smile, I extend my hand to shake hers.

We chat briefly about artists and my college aspirations. Suddenly, Koa appears at my side with a friendly, warm smile. "Excuse me, ladies, may I borrow Maya for a moment?" he asks.

"What are you doing?" I whisper as he takes my hand and leads me towards the hallway without glancing back at my mother or Ms. Kobayashi. It seems extremely rude of him, but when I glance back, I see my mother smirking at me. Ugh!

His grip tightens as we stride through the hallway, the way he's handling me becoming increasingly frustrating. His passive-aggressive demeanor is getting to me. He glances over his shoulder, wary of any onlookers. I'm annoyed by his secretive actions without any explanations. Suddenly, he reaches for the doorknob of my father's office door.

"Koa! We can't go in there!" I protest, alarmed.

"Shh!" he hisses as he swoops the door open and pulls me through, making me stumble on my heels. He quietly closes the door behind him.

I fix him with a glare of utter exasperation. "What the hell are you thinking?!" Stepping towards him with clear anger, I close the distance until I'm almost nose-to-nose, my words a hissing whisper. He remains motionless against the door, his gaze penetrating and intense.

"What the hell am I thinking?" He jabs a finger towards himself, his voice dropping to a deeper, more ominous tone. "You storm out of dinner and vanish into a bathroom with Sera for a solid hour, and now you're questioning what I'm THINKING?" His agitation mounts as he begins to pace the expanse of my father's office. I lean my head back and exhale frustratedly.