Jeopardized

As I sprint toward the living room in Maya's house, I realize how crazy all of this is. And I'm so fucking done with it. All of it. I mean, seriously, what the hell? Right now, rational thoughts have been thrown out the window. I'm so fed up with the facade, the charade we all keep up. The fucking play keeps playing.

This island, these people—damn, it's like everyone's competing in some twisted fucking game of status, parading their wealth and possessions as if that's the measure of happiness.

I storm through the living room, papers slipping from my grip, yet I pay them no mind. Nick, stationed by the fireplace, casts a glance my way, his eyes widening with a familiar mix of resignation and concern. It's that look, that one that screams, "Here we go again, Koa's up to something and it can't be good."

Damn fucking right, here we go again, and damn fucking right it can't be good.

With frustration boiling within, I shove past the people, now standing in front of the coffee table at the room's center. Of course, all eyes are on me, their gazes laden with judgment, as if I'm high on cocaine. But really, all of it is just anger.

"Koa, what's going on?" My father's voice, firm and tinged with anger, cuts through the room from behind me, standing beside Maya's mother. I glance around, catching the eyes of Mr. Thurston, Sera, Mrs. Beaumont, and the Japanese investors all fixed on me. But one face is notably absent—Rick Davis.

With force, I slam the documents down onto the table, causing everyone to jump back in surprise and even fear. "Rick Davis is a fraud!" I shout, my face contorted in disgust.

My father steps forward with a quiet determination, bending over to examine the spread of papers and documents on the table. As he does, the Japanese investors exchange uneasy glances and begin murmuring amongst themselves. Meanwhile, Maya's mother, Hannah, swiftly snatches up a few letters, scanning them with growing shock. Her hand flies to her mouth, muffling a gasp. "No... this can't be," she whispers, shaking her head in disbelief.

Suddenly, Maya appears from around the hallway corner, her tear-streaked face making my heart ache. "It's true, Mom..." she chokes out, her voice trembling with betrayal as she leans against the wall for support. Witnessing Maya's distress, I can't help but feel regret, I shake it off me; certain this revelation will make her father reconsider his dumb statements and rules.

Not allowed to date me because I'm reckless... I'll show him some fucking reckless. My mind churned with a tornado of emotions—anger, uncertainty, betrayal—all mingling with the exhilarating thrill of the risk I was taking. There's something horribly wrong with me, isn't there?

"Our parents keep preaching about responsibility, studying, and preparing for the real world. But honestly, it's all a load of crap," I vent.

"Koa!" My mother's sharp voice cuts through the air as she looks up from the papers in her hands. My father's gaze pierces me, his jaw clenched tightly, a deep furrow etched across his brow as he silently observes the unfolding scene, I wonder what his thoughts are...

"What?! It's true! You're all wrapped up in these dumb games, only concerned with yourselfs. I guess you're all going to pay for it soon. This resort, it's built on nothing but lies and fake contracts."

I burst into laughter, feeling crazy but also not giving a fuck. Just then, Rick Davis strides in from the kitchen, scanning the room. Silence greets him, all eyes on him filled with judgment and anger.

"What's happening here?" he starts, bewildered. His gaze lands on the table, jaw dropping in embarrassment.

"How dare you invade my office, my privacy!" he exclaims, gaping at me.