In the flesh

WARNING, 18+ CONTENT.

Beau.

"...Everyone," Liz, the team leader announces as I stand beside her. Heads look up from their place on their desks and pay close attention to what she's about to say. "The board of directors were very pleased with last month's numbers so please make sure to keep up whatever it is that you're doing." There was sparse cheering. "On another note, we've got a new recruit from the New York branch, Beau Smith. Make sure you make her feel at home, God knows she's a long way from it."

"Thank you for that." I say with a smile and she returns it.

"Amelia will show you to your office." As soon as she says this, a doe eyed girl stands beside me holding a grin. Her hair was wavy around her face and her grin was bright and friendly.

"Hi, I'm Amelia." She says and much to my surprise, she has no accent.

"I'm Beau," I say with a smile of my own. "I take it you're also American?" I add and she nods.

"Straight out of Nashville. I'm only an intern here, I study down at Cambridge." She explains as she walks me towards a room with glass walls. "This will be your office and if you need anything at all, I will be on the other side of this wall slash glass." She points to the desk beside my office. With one last smile, she makes a beeline out and sits down behind her desk.

I felt so exposed but thankfully, there was blinds I could use whenever I wanted privacy. However, I found it rude if I were to bring them down right away. Just as I was logging into my account on my new computer, there was a few knocks on the open door and when I look up, a man stands there with a few folders at hand.

"I'm going to need you to proofread these before sending them off to Claire in publishing—" When he looks up from the folders, he stops and I am able to see a pair of light green eyes staring back at me. He then points to me. "You're not Jesse."

I shake my head. "I don't know who Jesse is but clearly, I'm not them." I say and stand up as he walks close, I outstretch my hand for a formal handshake. "I'm Beau, I just transferred here from—"

"The New York transfer, that's right." He says, cutting me off. "I thought Beau was a guy name?" I take my hand back after this.

"I'm sorry to disappoint?"

"That sounded rude, I just thought it was going to be a new male recruit. Never mind, I do apologize if I was rude." He hands me the folders and I take them. "I do still need these proofread and sent to Claire in publishing though." I give him a dumbfounded look. "You look confused."

"Yeah, you seemed to have given me your work?" I say. "I don't get it, I have my own work that I have to proofread." I say, handing back the folders.

He then smiles and I can tell he's probably used to doing this quite a lot. If he thinks he can flash that gorgeous smile at me and look at me that way and think I'm going to fall for it, he's sadly mistaken. "I don't know how things work back in New York, but here the editors have a thing called team work."

"This doesn't sound like team work, it sounds like extra work that you don't want to do." I literally just got here and this man was already giving me a hard time.

He pushes the folders back to me. "Call it whatever you want, I've got like twenty other folders I need to do and these are reaching deadline."

"Well I guess you better get to it then." I say, pushing them back to him. A smirk reaches his lips as he takes them back and walks out. I watch him through the glass as he walks over to his desk and sits down, leaning back against his chair and turning towards me, the smirk still on his lips.