Two sides of the same coin

"Easy." Elija hisses as I press the cotton ball soaked in alcohol to his face. I scoff as I drag it across, gathering up all the dry blood on it.

"What the hell were you thinking?" I chide as I go for another one.

"Since when do you need to think to get in a fight?"

"So then you got your ass kicked for being a total jackass?"

At this, Elija pushes my hand away, preventing me from cleaning his wound further. "I'm sick of this place. I'm sick of dad being a fucking asshole and I'm sick of mum for being so stupid and letting him."

I throw the bloodied cotton balls away and sit back down. "So am I, but you don't see me getting into pointless fights."

"If you must know, Vince said he was going to kick your ass next time he saw you." I furrow my brows as I stare back at him. "Something about you kissing Georgia. So I told him to fuck off, that he wasn't going to touch you and so he beat my ass for it."

"That was stupid. You know I can handle my own fights."

"Yeah, I know. But that doesn't mean I'm going to let you. You're my brother, I'd do it all over again if I had to."

"...Harry?" I'm dragged out of my thoughts and I realize I'm the last one sitting down. I had been so focused on the men lowering the casket to even mind the rain and I was now completely soaked. Georgia was standing in front of me, an umbrella in her hand as she did her best to shield me from the rain. "Come, everyone's left for the wake."

"Go on without me." The truth was, I didn't want to leave. This wasn't like every other night where I didn't know where Elija was. At least then I could assume he was somewhere off at some club or sleeping in someone's couch. Now, I have to live the remaining of my life knowing exactly where he is.

Buried in a six foot hole in the cemetery. I knew one day this was bound to happen, I just always assumed he would somehow outlive me. My mother of course, took it the hardest. I hardly recognized her, she's always so put together. Sometimes she appeared too cold but this...this managed to break her.

My father even managed a few tears and yet I, even with the rain to help mask them, I couldn't find it in me to cry. Maybe my mind doesn't comprehend, I mourned him every day of his existence, thinking the last time I saw him would for sure be the last time. That he'd finally overdose and that would be it.

I've just mourned him too much.

Eventually, I stood up and walked. It wasn't far from here where the wake would be held, but even if it was I'd walk there in hopes I managed some tears for my brother. I know Elija would be disappointed in knowing I couldn't shed a tear for him, he was that egocentric.

I knew Elija was hurting like I was. Our childhood fucked us up, I knew I was handling it poorly. But I never took Elija to take the easy way out. My brother was a free spirit, I guess I didn't pay enough attention. I was always focused on what fuckery he would curse me with each day.

The wake was held at my grandparents place. They were long gone now but the humble home still stood enough to hold all these people I did not know. The picket white fence lined with colorful flowers and bushes catch my attention as I go in, nodding momentarily at the people who pay me their condolences.

None of these people knew my brother, if they did I can guarantee half of them wouldn't be here. Still, there was one person I didn't expect to see here today and that was Bill. He brought my mother a cup of tea from the kitchen and stands at her side, a bizarre sight.

When he spots me, he nods my way. "Sorry for your loss." I almost scoff. If there was one person who didn't belong here, it was Bill. No one hated Elija more than him and Elija hated him just as much. He stuck out like a sore thumb.