To want is selfish

"...I don't see rehab having any sort of effect on Elija at this point, if we're being rational. I say it's best you leave him out in the street." Bill says from across the table. Apparently he had been staying my my mother and father for a few days now, something about quitting his profession in London and moving back to New York.

My father shoots daggers across the table towards Bill with his eyes. "Bill." My father warns.

"Did I say anything wrong?" He feigns shock and I can't help but find this conversation amusing. "I mean, I don't mean to point out the obvious but we can clearly tell who the disappointment here is." Bill turns to look at me and I can't help but chuckle.

"Clearly." I mock. "How's economics class treating you now a days?"

"That's enough." My mother says, her voice firm. "You two don't have to like each other but when you're in my home, you've got to respect everyone else. This bickering has gone on way too long, you both need to grow the hell up." She stands up from her place at the table and walks off, her heels fading away.

My father leans across the table, an angry look on his face. "You need change that narrative in your head about this family, learn some damn manners and get a god dammed job." He grits whilst pointing at Bill.

"Sorry your new family is so screwed up. But that's probably karma, huh?" I couldn't agree more.

"I hope you have somewhere else to spend the night because you won't be spending it here after disrespecting my wife." My father grits, standing up and walking off probably to find out where my mother ran off to. Without another word, I stand up.

"You must be so pleased with yourself." This stops me and I turn around to watch Bill stand up, finishing off his wine. "You got the better end of the stick and you're not even related to the guy."

"Should this be a concern of mine?"

"You stole my fucking life!" Bill stalks towards me but I don't move. "Everything you are, I should've been. Shit, I'm better than both you and Elija combined!"

"Well then I guess that's your issue," I start. "You try way too hard." Already growing bored of this conversation, I begin to walk off again but I stop when Bill speaks again.

"No wonder you and Beau didn't work out."

He held a smug expression on his face when I turn. "What the fuck does that mean?"

"It means exactly what it sounds like." How the fuck would he know? "She told me." It's almost like he read my mind.

"Told you what exactly?" Why am I entertaining this? He's obviously only saying this to piss me off. Beau and Bill haven't talked in three years, or so that's how it seemed to me.

Bill lets out a dry laugh, almost sounded forced. "Pretty much just everything," He shrugs, walking past me towards the front door and yet I follow behind until we're outside on the driveway. "But hey, she's talking about you. You know what that means?" He takes my silence as an answer. "Means she's done with you and is more than ready to move on."

"Funny, we hooked up almost immediately after you two broke up." I bite but Bill only laughs. He pats my arm and walks towards his car, opens the door but waits and looks at me.

"Lucky for me, Beau and I got years worth of history you know? Sooner or later, she's going to let me in and you'll be nothing but a memory. Just a bump on the road and then we'll act like nothing happened, like you never existed. I doubt she'd want to come to family reunions knowing you'd be there." Bill mocks.

I doubt any of this is true. Maybe Beau might've forgiven him for whatever reason, but I doubt she'd tell him our business just because she wanted to be spiteful. Sure, I might've hurt her but if this was true, this was a side of her I've never known.