Just another pretty face

"...We're serious, Harry. We have some things we need to discuss, you are expected and not a minute later. Do you need me to send over a cab?" My father queries over the phone as I rub my temples in annoyance on the other end. Shame he couldn't see how over this phone call I was.

"You know, there's a reason why I bought a car, so that I wouldn't have to be driven around like some asshole." I retort, earning a snort from Nes. "I'll let you know when I head out." Without another word else, I end the call and drop the phone on my chest as I lay my head on Nes's thighs. "I swear, my parents are the bane of my fucking life."

Nes groans as her fingers run through my hair while her free hand placed the joint on my lips. I take a long drag and feel the smoke fill my lungs, relaxing me by the second. "So ditch them and stay here. Darien won't be back for another two days, that means we can fuck wherever we want."

I sit up, knowing if I kept my parents waiting any longer the calls would be nonstop. "As fun as that sounds, I'd much rather just get this over with." I fix myself up and head for the front door.

"Fine." Nes says, bending over the couch to try to entice me. "You know where I'll be." With a wink, she falls back on the couch with the joint in her mouth and her red hair cascading over the armrest. I exit the apartment and make my way towards the elevator, slightly tripping over a box on my way in.

"What the fuck?" I say to myself, there was only so much room for me to stand on, where the hell did all these boxes come from? When I look around, they appear to be labeled, bathroom, kitchen, bedroom, closet. More than likely some idiot moving in who doesn't know about the service the lobby provides for this type of shit.

When the elevator doors open, I am met with a small person, a woman, before me holding another box with some sort of plant balanced on top. I couldn't help but to laugh. "So that explains it." Naturally, I'd be annoyed at a situation like this but I found it more comical than not.

I hear the woman huff in annoyance. "Glad my dilemma is amusing to you, stranger." I could easily walk away, but I was much more intrigued on the face behind the plant.

"Here. Would you like some help?" I say, grabbing the plant from the box and now I am able to see the person behind this whole mess. I'd be lying if I said she didn't just stop me in my tracks, if I wasn't already standing she surely would have.

Her blue eyes meet mine but they don't stay for long as she quickly looks away and clears her throat. "I would like some help, please." She confirms and walks in the elevator, I follow suit.

What are you doing? You don't have time for this shit, she's just another pretty face in this washed up city, there'll be thousands of her! I thought, noticing how she almost tripped on one of the boxes, kind of like I almost did.

"Somehow, I don't think this is safe." I mention, enjoying how annoyed she got that I laughed at her situation, so I press some more. "Should've taken the stairs."

"Do I look like I'd survive various trips to the lobby, just to get my boxes all the way to the fifth floor?" Her cheeks were rosy either from my teasing or from all the work it took for her to get these boxes in here.

"I take it you're moving in?" I joke. I contemplated on letting her know that the front desk provides a free service, but then we wouldn't have this and I wouldn't have known that she's situated in the fifth floor, meaning I'd be seeing a lot of her. She maintains her angry gaze to the doors in front of us and I figure this is where my teasing should stop. "Sorry, I'm Harry Styles."

Her demeanor seems to soften. "Beau Smith. So, do you live here too?" I can feel my phone vibrate in my pocket, probably a warning text from my father but I ignore it.

I shake my head. "Oh, no. Just visiting." I say just as the elevator opens to reveal two people, they look confused as they see the boxes around us. "It appears weight limit has exceeded."

"I hope I'm not keeping you from something important?" Beau says as soon as the doors close again.

She must've heard my phone too. "I've got time to spare." I really didn't, in fact if I'm not on my way in about two minutes I'd probably be emitted into a rehab somewhere in Barbados right about now. When we reach the familiar fifth floor, I follow her to her apartment which, much to my dismay was right in front of Hailey's and just a few doors down from Darien's.

I tried my hardest not to cringe if Nes were to walk out and see me here. "So what's with the plant?"

"Oh, it was a home welcoming gift from my mother." Of course, a girl like her probably has the best relationship with her parents. She was probably well off too.

"Where are you coming from?" This is when I know the weed has kicked in, when I talk more than I normally would and ask intrusive questions.

"I am coming from—" She stops herself mid-sentence and eyes me suspiciously. "You know what? You don't need to know."

"Well then at least tell me what brings you to The Big Apple, Beau?" Fuck, I'm so high.

"I'm here to work as a journalist," Beau says with a small head tilt. "Can I offer you anything to drink?" Under different circumstances, I'd be fucking the shit out of her by now but she's new and I'd like to keep things friendly for now.

The vibrating in my pocket intensifies and I have no other option but to fall back. "No thank you, I actually have to get going."

Beau follows behind me to the door with a smile. "Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it. I would've been there for hours." I don't know what it was about her, but something called out to me, something in her eyes I'd never seen before. Maybe it was the brand new persona she fabricated for this city, she was full of life and I knew it wouldn't be long until this place completely crushed her.

Just like it did to all of us.

"I'll see you around, Beau." I finally say, making my way towards the elevator where my phone rang uncontrollably. I picked up, pressing the phone to my ear.

"You are unbelievable." My father grumbled.