Safe (Oneshot)

- " Let me guess, you're still awake? "

Cris' voice was gentle yet Paulo didn't miss the reproach lurking behind the words, and he bit his lip in frustration.
He was laying in the man's large bed, practically drowning in the white blanket covering all his body except for his eyes.

- " Don't give me that look.. " He glared up at Cris who was stood next to the bed, his hands on his hips " It's your fault, this time. " The older crocked an eyebrow:

- " Is it? "

- " Who the fuck goes to the gym in the middle of the night?! " The boy removed the blanket off his face with a pout. " You disrupted my peace. "

Cris had to hold back a small smile at the exaggerated seriousness of it. The pair had gotten used to each other's as fast as they've gotten close, and Paulo's occasional sleeping problems were nothing new. A few cuddles would sometimes do the trick, and the Portuguese assumed they had, that evening, and thus allowed himself to sneak out of bed for an extra workout session..

- " Well I'm sorry, baby.. But it's not like I left you on the fuckin' street. " Cris did have a point, his private gym was right upstairs, but Paulo's mind was too sleep-deprived for reasonable thinking. He just needed his sleep, and he sure wasn't ready to take any blame for his own suffering.

- " Whatever. "  He held onto his pillow, " You can go back there and keep training til your abs have abs. " His eyes uncontrollably trailed down to the chiseled six-packs glistening with sweat as he spoke. The older let out a dry chuckle:

- " I see what you're trying to do here, Paulino. It's not gonna work. " Paulo shot him an annoyed glance. He could sense the 'I told you so' speech making its way through.. and he was not wrong: " Just admit it, for once.. you do this to yourself.. With the drinks, the video games- "

- " I played only like, one hour today! "

- " Two hours and a half. " The other corrected, sternly. " Right before bedtime, as well. "

- " Bedtime?-... " Paulo scoffed, but was ignored by the other.

- " -And then this little fucker takes over.. " He held the boy's phone in his hand. " .. For God knows how long, until you finally decide you have to sleep.. Except your poor fried-up brain wouldn't cooperate by then.. "

- " So I should just go back to stone age?! " He countered, frustration stirred further by the ongoing guilt-trip speech. " Qué brillante idea! " Cris fixated a firm gaze on the boy, discarding his grumpiness.

- " What you should do is learn to have more self control, Paulo. you're a footballer, for God's sake.. "

- " But I already- "