This is a Man's World

Kwon Minsik was a troubled boy by every stretch of the imagination. From the moment he was born, Minsik was brought into this life filled with dysfunction and chaos. One of his earliest memories was seeing his parents argue. It culminated in his mother smacking his dad hard in the face.

"WHY YOU BITCH! YOU DARE HIT YOUR HUSBAND!!?"

"I'LL HIT YOU ALL FUCKING DAY IF I WANT! YOU SPEND ALL YOUR DAY ON BOOZE WHEN YOU HAVE A DAMN KID TO RAISE! DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH SHIT I HAVE TO DO TO KEEP THIS LITTLE BRAT ASLEEP!! GET YOUR FAT ASS UP AND BE A FUCKING DAD!!" Her mother swore just as loud before he pinned her against the wall. His mom broke free by biting his hand rather violently.

Unfortunately, this was a normal day for the young Minsik. His parents would argue, then fight, then blame each other, and then things would back to normal as if nothing ever happened. It was a cycle he was forced to see. He was afraid of his parents so he would lock himself in his room.

"OPEN THE DAMN DOOR YOU PUNK!" He slammed the door violently.

The young four-year-old ran to the closet. Fear was driving him, fear of being hit by his father. He made sure the door was locked and kept it locked.

"I hate this... I hate this so much!!! Why can't I have good mommy and daddies?" Minsik wiped his tears.

He then noticed his younger sister also sniffling. He wrapped his arms around hoping to give her comfort. Despite the abuse, the Kwon siblings found comfort in each other. They at least trusted each other. The door kept hanging louder and louder until somehow got it open.

"I knew you little shit was hiding somewhere!! You're going with me!!" His father dragged Minsik away.

"No!!! I don't wanna!!" Minsik shoved him out. His father stared at him such anger he looked like death itself.

"YOU DISRESPECTFUL LITTLE BRAT!! I'LL TEACH YOU MANNERS." Minsik felt himself being slapped across the world. The young boy stumbled in a loud thud. His cheek was red with his handprint. Minsik once again started crying alerting his mom who appeared behind his dad and smacked against the head sandal. The adult stammered shifting his attention away from the kids to his mother as the two started.

"BITCH THAT HURT!! I'LL MAKE YOU PAY!!"

"I'LL MAKE YOUR HEAD HURT EVEN IF YOU LAY ANOTHER FINGER ON THIS BRAT! I SHOULD'VE NEVER MARRIED A STUPID DRUNK LIKE YOU!! YOU'RE THE REASON WE'RE IN THIS DEBT!! YOU HAD TO SQUANDER IT ALL ON GAMBLING!! YOU'RE A DISGRACE!!"

"AND YOU THINK YOU'RE A SAINT!? DON'T FORGET YOUR ASS GOT FIRED TWO MONTHS AGO!! CAN'T EVEN KEEP A FUCKING JOB WITH THAT MOUTH OF YOURS!! EVERYTHING DEPENDS ON ME TO KEEP THIS SHIT HOLE AND THE FIRST THING YOU DO IS YELL AT ME!! I SHOULDN'T HAVE GOTTEN INTO MARRIAGE CONTRACT IF I KNEW THIS WOULD BE THE OUTCOME!!" His father was panting exhausted from his outburst. He drank another full cup of beer.

"From the very beginning I knew I had bad luck. Instead being proper parents they were too self-absorbed in their own shits to notice the despair me and sis had. I learn that not everyone can have good parents. I left one bad parent for another..."

A year later his mom took him and his younger sister after being kicked out of the house. With a cigarette in her hand. She took them to the airport.

"Where are we going eomma?" His mother asked.

"Someplace far away from that dirty bastard now stay quiet. I don't want you causing trouble." His mother warned her.

This new place she was talking about was someplace far away from Seoul, even far away from Korea. Upon landing he heard people speak an unfamiliar language. He couldn't understand the adults only that they were being guided outside the airport. Upon driving to the city Minsik noticed how different it looked from Seoul. The weather was hotter, felt drier.