sixteen

chapter sixteen
(our secrets)

Before meeting Artemis, Remus had first talked to Peter, asking his friend to immobilize the whomping willow

Before meeting Artemis, Remus had first talked to Peter, asking his friend to immobilize the whomping willow. The man waited in animagus form before doing as he was asked. When he saw them walking down the path from the school grounds to Hagrid's Hut, he went for the knot and froze the tree. As soon as he completed his task, he moved past the couple and eventually shapeshifted back to join James and Sirius who were waiting for him on the school grounds.

Remus clutched Artemis's hand as he directed her to a suitable spot to discuss his monthly challenges. He felt relieved that she wasn't asking questions, while they walked past Hagrid's Hut and took a different path.

When they started to catch sight of the tree, Artemis came to a halt, causing Remus to immediately face her so that he could explain no harm would come from the tree. However, she spoke first, uttering, "It's immobilized."

The Gryffindor man frowned, speaking only hesitantly, "Uhhh, yeah, it." Remus regarded the tree and mulled over Artemis's relaxed attitude. The thought crossing his mind was the reason why the girl was not panicking. This was a secret only a few knew of, so he wondered why she was so calm.

Artemis's attention was immediately drawn to Remus's uneasy expression. She then grasped his hand and continued onward, now leading the way. As they approached the particular knot in question, SGE appeared curious and paused briefly to examine it before facing the Gryffindor boy. She then began speaking, "Before the end of the summer...uh, I kind of had a dream about how to immobilize the willow."

Remus eyes widened at her sudden revelation. His expression expressed shock, as he managed a single-word reply, "What?"

Artemis nodded and stepped towards the tree trunk and took a moment before finding the pathway," Yeah, saw that as well. I walked in but only stopped halfway through before waking up." She turned back to face him as he continued to grow even more bewildered.

Artemis placed her hand over the back of her neck and began rubbing it in a casual manner. She then proceeded to speak, "You see, there's something I've wanted to tell you for quite a while now."

Remus interrupted her, "Wait, let...let me lead you further in. Perhaps we can trade what we want once we reach my planned destination. I want to show you something."

Artemis's gaze drifted from the path, turning to look back at him," Yeah, I mean I did want to figure out where the passage led from my dream anyways," Her hand grasped his, and she gave it a gentle, reassuring squeeze. She then began speaking again," It's also better that I won't be alone."

Remus's gaze remained on her before he guided the way, and they walked on. The quiet atmosphere was both eerie and pleasant, and the gentle warmth that permeated their hands felt comforting. When they reached the end, he ascended and opened a cellar door. His hand was extended for Artemis's assistance, as he waited to pull her up to the opening.