nine

chapter nine
(just be careful)

Regardless of the emotional struggles and anxiety that he was currently enduring, Lyall managed to maintain his poise and allow the occasion to proceed without incident

Regardless of the emotional struggles and anxiety that he was currently enduring, Lyall managed to maintain his poise and allow the occasion to proceed without incident. However, he made certain that Remus would be unable to converse with Artemis, who was quick to notice the subtle indicators of Lyall's displeasure toward her. She was unacquainted with the exact reasons why he harbored such negative sentiments, though she was not unfamiliar with being the subject of disdain and hostility.

Artemis was quite astute and perceptive, as she realized that the mood needed to be kept light, and she did everything in her power to maintain that balance. She was mindful of whenever Remus came into the vicinity, ensuring to keep a suitable distance from him. Unfortunately, this situation typically resulted in her settling beside, Dilan, who used each and every opportunity to make flirtatious advances in her direction, which caused Remus to be increasingly agitated.

When the plan to stay the night was proposed, Hope offered an affirmative response without hesitation, not affording Lyall a chance to protest. The arrangement was well-received, which meant that the entire group would be able to journey together to Hogwarts in the morning, without any individual being absent from the travel party.

Upon the occasion where everyone gathered to open their holiday gifts, the lupin family promptly noticed Artemis' shortage of presents. Despite being gifted a few from the teens and their parents, she remained the lone person, who unlike the others, was not granted a present from any acquaintances from school, which was a noticeable contrast to the rest who had received a plethora of gifts from their fellow peers.

As Lyall stepped outside to partake in a smoke break, he observed Artemis in sole possession of the owlery. It was a stark difference when compared to the other teenagers, who were generally surrounded by their friends as well as the numerous owl deliveries that provided them with presents from the people that they had befriended at Hogwarts. However, it appeared that no winged visitors had come to the young witch, and she was isolated from the rest.

Artemis frequently spent a brief respite in the owlery to engage in some minor leisure activity with her owl, such as petting and feeding it. She then typically proceeded to carry the feathered companion out of the enclosure to allow it to expand its wings in an open space. This was also performed at this very moment, as she led the bird outside and supported herself against a wall and leaned on it to watch her owl.

Artemis's vision seemed to be unfocused as her gazes were directed toward the middle distance, leaving her unaware of Lyall's watchful presence. He found himself unable to ignore her, despite the fact that his son had provided an assuring explanation about the circumstances surrounding her.

However, the man's suspicions were still present, since he had not been able to confirm her ignorance regarding Remus's secret. Thus, he remained cautious about the young lady in question, taking care to continue observing her.

Lyall emerged from his contemplation upon observing Artemis's action of calling her owl named "Moon." He deemed the name to be amusing in contrast to the animal's physical characteristic, given that its color was a dark brown instead of a pale moonlike hue.

Artemis's smile widened as she proceeded to gently caress and scratch her owl with affection. Following the gesture, she then leaned her head against the feathered companion, as if she was seeking comfort from it. She then apologized for having the animal enclosed in the confines of the owlery, vowing to eventually release it in the future when she finished her education at Hogwarts. The Owl, understanding her pecked her head as if it was retorting to her statement.

Lyall was amused by her interaction with the bird and conjured a laugh, until he suddenly froze, fearing that he might have exposed his presence. Luckily, the teenager's response to the owl's movement provided him with a measure of reassurance.

"Listen, Moon, I am just saying, I only ever get one letter every year. I won't ever be receiving anything from anyone." Artemis huffed to her owl that had yet again pecked her forehead, but a lot harder this time, making her wince," Okay fine! I won't talk about it now, just...OW! Okay okay! I'll stop!" She covered her head from another upcoming peck," You'll make me bleed, Moon." She scolded her owl who stopped and flew towards the owlery.

Lyall observed Artemis's odd behavior with her owl, and it caused his brows to furrow. This observation led the Lupin to reflect upon the impending holiday season and make the decision to purchase a gift for the teenager. Although he remained cautions, he resolved to follow through with providing the gift to her when they returned to Hogwarts.

As the holiday gathering drew to a close and the Luoin couple began preparing to depart for their home, Lyall utilized the opportunity of the situation to pull his son away from everyone and speak with him privately. Remus anticipated being chastised, as he proceeded to stand beside his father outside to engage in their forthcoming conversation.

"I am still not on board with you being friends with that girl," Lyall tucked his hands in his coat and leaned on the fence," But, if you really think she doesn't know about your secret, then I won't tell you to distance yourself."

Remus looked at his father and furrowed his brows," Are...you sure?"

Lyall grumbled," Just be careful, son. Just promise me that if you think she knows or if she has some kind of hint, you steer clear of her, got it?"

"Yes, I promise" Remus nodded.