(V6) Chapter 4.4

WHILE walking back to my dorm after shopping, I came across Ayanokouji. Assuming he was in the karaoke room, we decided to both walk together.

"How was the meeting?" I asked him.

"It was... interestingly okay."

"Vague and somewhat contradicting, but okay?"

We came across Katsuragi standing next to a water fountain. He didn't seem to be looking for anyone in particular, so Ayanokouji called out to him.

"What are you doing?" Ayanokouji asked.

"Ayanokouji? Oh, nothing. Just thinking a little about the final exam next week," he replied as he looked at me. "Good day, Shinjiro."

"Good day to you, Katsuragi. You're thinking about the exam in a place like this?" I asked.

"I wanted some time alone to think in peace and quiet," said Katsuragi. "Ayanokouji, do you feel like the exam will go well?"

"Dunno. But everyone's studying really hard."
"Is that so? It would be nice if no one were expelled," said Katsuragi.

I didn't feel as if he was particularly concerned for his classmates. "Did something happen?"

"When you two were in junior high, were you ever class representative or on the student council?"

"No."

"Eh... no."

"I've been a student council member since elementary school. I even served as student council president in both elementary and junior high. But, after coming to this school, I had to make some significant course corrections," said Katsuragi.

"Interesting." Ayanokouji said.

While the three of us were walking and conversing towards the dorms, there was a crowd of people in the lobby.

"It's pretty noisy in here. Did something happen?" Katsuragi asked.

"Dunno. Should we try asking around?" I caught sight of the Professor and called to him.

"What happened?"

"Oh, Ayanokouji, is that you? It seems that all of us first years somehow received the same missive in our mailboxes."

"The same letter?"

Ayanokouji slipped through the crowd, went over to his mailbox, and unlocked it. Others peered over his shoulder as he opened the door.

He took out a letter folded into fourths and walked back to Sotomura.

"Is this...?"

"It would seem so!"

A few moments later, Katsuragi returned with a similar piece of paper. They unfolded their letters at nearly the same time. They said:

First-year Class B student Ichinose Honami may be collecting points illegally. —Ryuuen Kakeru

Sotomura showed us the same message on his paper. Katsuragi mumbled, "What is that guy planning by signing his name to this? If this claim is baseless, the school will take disciplinary action against him."

"If he's risking that, does that mean his claim is true?"

"Well, I suppose that this is something I could see Ryuuen doing. If people start to suspect Ichinose of fraud, it'll make her life difficult, regardless of whether it's true. What Ryuuen is doing could be considered defamation, but he wouldn't care about something like that," Katsuragi explained.