SCHWELLENANGST

Schwellenangst(n) fear of embarking on something new; fear of crossing a threshold.

"You can love a monster, it can even love you back, but that doesn't change its nature." - Eliza Crewe

—————————————————————
Calida tossed back the shot with gusto, the fiery liquid igniting a trail of warmth down her throat. She banged the empty glass on the table, beckoning the staff for a swift refill.

As the waiter replenished the glass, she reached for it eagerly, only to have Coryo intercept her.

"Another shot might just knock you out until next year," he cautioned, lifting the glass to his lips.

"Party pooper," Calida teased, her words slurred from the alcohol but punctuated by laughter. The intoxication was undoubtedly starting to set in.

Meanwhile, Brit delicately sipped on a luminous blue concoction that seemed to glow in the dim lighting, while Darius opted for a more straightforward approach, guzzling champagne straight from the bottle.

"Let's hit the dance floor!" Calida exclaimed, attempting to pull Coryo to his feet, but her efforts were futile as she tumbled into him instead.

"That's not quite dancing," he remarked, gesturing toward the packed dance floor.

Darius set the bottle aside, rolling his eyes.
"I knew inviting this senior was a mistake," Darius grumbled.

Coriolanus glared at Darius, but the inebriated Darius seemed oblivious to any tension.

"Come on, Mr. Sunshine, loosen up a little," Calida urged as the staff refilled their shot glasses.

Coryo rolled his eyes. "What's the appeal of getting completely hammered like this?"

Calida shrugged. "Oh, it's just a rare occasion, a chance to let loose."

He sighed, eyeing the drinks.

Always the epitome of responsibility, elegance, and composure, he had barely indulged tonight with just a single glass of wine and a pilfered shot from Calida.

"You don't have to drink if you're not into it," Calida assured him, not wanting to pressure him.

He glanced at her before downing the shot and then another. "No, you're right. It's time to unwind."

"Good for you," Calida cheered, clapping her hands.

He rolled his eyes but couldn't hide a hint of satisfaction at her praise.

"Cal, I need you to come with me to the bar," Brit suddenly announced, swaying slightly.

Calida nodded, intertwining her arm with Brit's.

"Be back in a minute," she told Coryo and Darius before they could respond, letting Brit lead her from the VIP tables to the bar.

Brit tended to spill her secrets when she was inebriated, and Calida sensed that something was troubling her.

"What's going on?" Calida inquired as they reached the bar.

Brit wasted no time in getting to the point.
"My parents are arranging my marriage to Peter," she blurted out.

Calida's eyebrows shot up in surprise. "Oh," was all she managed to say. "Are you okay with that?" she asked, studying her friend's expression.

Brit shrugged before responding.
"I've always known it was coming. My parents want what they think is best for me, and what could be better than marrying the president's son, who's likely to be president himself someday?" Brit explained, reaching for a beer on the bar, but Calida quickly pushed it away.