PSITHURISM

Psithurism (n.) The sound of the wind through trees

"Unfolding flower of my memory, leave your petals to this wind." - Charles deGravelles

----------------------------------------------------------

"He's nothing short of a conniving gremlin! I swear, that man is scheming something nefarious. His arrogance knows no bounds, as if he rules the entire domain because of a well-tailored suit. It's exasperating," Calida ranted.

Her parents lounged in the drawing room, seemingly indifferent to Calida's tirade.

Per her mother's insistence, a stylist diligently worked on the dress Calida had on, the stylist ducking away from Calida's expressive arms as she spoke.

There was a time when Calida revelled in the fitting sessions, luxuriating in the opulence of personally tailored, extravagant dresses.

However, the extravagance now felt absurd and frivolous.

Now having met people who struggled for a single meal, having an individual dress her for dinner seemed ludicrous.

It wasn't even supposed to be a lavish affair.

Just Calida's family visiting with Plinth's for dinner.

Calida groaned, casting an annoyed glance at her father, who wearily propped his head on his hand.

"This is all utter nonsense, father."

Calida received another warning glare from her mother, a look she had gotten a million times before.

"Ever consider that you might be overreacting a tad, Calida?" her father inquired, a weary sigh accompanying his words.

"NO, because I'm not. Just wait and see tonight, Dad," she retorted, her father responding with another sigh, a nod, and returned to his book.

During the drive to the Plinths, Calida was subjected to another round of reprimands from her mother.

A stern warning was issued, cautioning her that a single snarky comment could result in losing access to her father's lab for her experiments.

This threat silenced Calida promptly, eliciting stifled snickers from her father and little brother.

As the Bellerose family reached Mr and Mrs Plinth's apartment, they were greeted by the couple before leading them to the dining room.

Calida did her best to pretend to be happy to be there, wearing a polite smile. However, it quickly shifted to a frown upon spotting Snow.

He greeted her family impeccably and courteously, before finally greeting Calida.

"It's good seeing you again, Miss Bellerose."

Calida fought the urge to scoff but refrained, acutely aware of her mother's watchful gaze.

"Good seeing you too, Snow," she replied curtly, the effort to maintain politeness almost impossible.

The maids emerged with food trays as everyone settled around the Plinths' dinner table.

The discussion between Mr. Plinth and Mr. Bellerose resembled a discourse as thrilling as watching grass grow, so Calida turned her attention elsewhere.

Benjamin quietly consumed his meal, accustomed to the unspoken rule of silence at the dinner table unless specifically addressed.

While Calida's mother and Mrs. Plinth engaged in a seemingly endless discussion about clothing, a conversation Calida wasn't all too interested in.