GLAVER

Glaver (v.) To flatter, deceive with flattery.

"No one wants you to be yourself. They want you to be the version of yourself that they like." - Marie Lu
————————————————————————

Calida felt a twinge of self-reproach.

Donning a scarlet dress per Coriolanus's directive wasn't characteristic of her; she rarely succumbed to such acquiescence.

The reversion of Coriolanus to the persona she perennially disliked perplexed her, yet she found herself complying with his request.

The motive eluded her—perhaps an unconscious desire to gratify him. Why? She did not know.

Embarking on her inaugural meeting with Dr. Gaul and Coriolanus in the lab, Calida traversed the threshold, guided by one of her aides who unlatched the imposing doors.

A diminutive coffin commandeered the room's centre, causing a momentary deceleration in her pace, oblivious to the presence of Dr Gaul and Coriolanus.

«It's the tribute you mentored," Dr. Gaul's voice resonated, causing Calida to raise her head sharply towards the voice.

Her gaze oscillated between the mischievously grinning Dr. Gaul and the frigid countenance of Coriolanus.

«Oh," Calida uttered, uncertain of this revelation's direction. "Why is he in here?"

«The coffin will be transported to District 8 tomorrow," Dr. Gaul disclosed, nonchalantly reaching for some papers.

His gaze appraising, Coriolanus scanned her attire, and as their eyes met, a hint of amusement sparkled in his eyes.

It was evident—he derived enjoyment from her adherence to his directive to wear red, an act of rare compliance on her part.

«As your empathetic disposition toward the districts and distrust of the Capitol's  intentions are widely known, you'll be accompanying the tribute to District 8," Dr. Gaul continued.

Calida's eyes widened, her heartbeat accelerating.

Was she exiled to District 8?

Dr. Gaul, perceiving the panic in her eyes, chuckled at the girl's disquiet.

«You'll spend a few enlightening days there. Mr. Snow will accompany you, ensuring you don't return to your family in one of these," she gestured toward the coffin.

Calida gulped.

However, she recognized this as an opportunity—to witness firsthand the realities of the people.

She was confident it would only affirm her convictions: they are less fortunate and have struggles, but they are not animals.

«When?" Calida asked, her gaze returning to the compact coffin.

«You'll depart tomorrow morning," Dr. Gaul informed her.

Damn, that was soon.

«You two have much to discuss. Off you go," Dr. Gaul dismissed them, turning her attention to one of her serpents.

Coriolanus extended his arm, an offer Calida accepted with scepticism.

They exited the lab, and he cast a sidelong glance at her as they strolled.

«You followed orders, I see," he remarked with a smirk, eyeing her crimson dress.

«I wasn't aware it was an order. I thought it was a request. Had I known you meant it as an order, I would have worn green," Calida replied, gazing straight ahead.

He chuckled, but it lacked the warmth she had witnessed before.

No, it was the cold, genuine laugh that Calida found unsettling.

He led her through the gardens as they exited the building and commented,

«You seem to have settled well in your new apartment," he mentioned as they strolled among white rose patches.

Calida squinted at him. What did he know about that?

«But I would advise you to get some blinds for your bedroom," Coriolanus added.

Calida halted, dropping his arm. "Are you staring into my apartment like a creep?" she asked in disbelief.

«I would not categorize it as staring or as creeping. I enjoy my nightly tea in my chair by the windows. It's not my fault that you are so unaware of your surroundings when you change clothes."

«Pervert." She smacked his arm, her face flushing with embarrassment.

«Hmm, no, a pervert would suggest that I seek it out or enjoy it," he retorted, his voice tinged with amusement.

«If you don't enjoy it, why are you looking into my bedroom? Your windows are huge; you can look anywhere besides my bedroom."

«You're right. Perhaps I am a pervert," he admitted with the same amusement.

«Then why are—" Calida started to argue but stopped as she realized what he had just said.

He looked at her mischievously, yet that cold look persisted in his eyes.

«You admit it?" she said, unable to suppress a chuckle.

He shrugged. "I wouldn't call myself a pervert, but I can't deny that I find the view not too awful."

Calida's face grew even redder if that was even possible.

Marching away, he called after her, "Where are you going?"

«To get some blinds," she declared, not bothering to look back.
————————————————————————

So this is short and perhaps boring, but it is what it is.

The following chapters are ready; I have decided to post them a few days apart during the holidays.

Please tell me what you think.

Thank you for reading.