ILLECEBROUS

Illecebrous (adj.) Alluring, attractive, enticing.

"If chaos is a work of art, then my heart is a masterpiece." - D. Antoinette Foy
———————————————————————-

Calida stirred early that morning, preparing herself with meticulous care.

A trip to her lab beckoned, where her works in progress awaited inspection. Scribbling hasty notes, she concluded the brief vacation and headed to depart.

Anticipation and nerves intertwined within her as she contemplated the imminent encounter with Coriolanus.

The lingering echo of their shared kiss played on the edge of her thoughts.

Should she dismiss it as a fleeting moment, or would acknowledgement give it more significance?

The dilemma tugged at her, a dance between nonchalance and recognition.

Stepping out of the elevator into the open expanse, she noted the absence of her usual chauffeur.

Before confusion could fully settle, Coriolanus's voice cut through the air, arresting her attention.

"I informed your father that your chauffeur is dispensable now, as you'll be accompanying me," he stated casually, leaning against his car, an embodiment of assurance.

Caught off guard, Calida felt a surge of annoyance bubbling within her. The audacity of his decision without consulting her irked her. "And you deemed it unnecessary to consult me before making such decisions on my behalf?" she retorted, bridging the distance between them.

He countered, his tone cloaked in a veneer of authority, "Rather than incessantly scrutinising my every move, perhaps gratitude for my consideration would be more appropriate."

The air crackled with tension, the power dynamic between them palpable. Coriolanus, an orchestrator of control, seemed to thrive on steering every facet of absolutely everything.

Calida's gaze navigated the passing scenery outside the car, diligently avoiding any contact with Coriolanus.

The air thickened with an uncomfortable silence, an unspoken tension wrapped around her like an oppressive shroud.

For Coriolanus, however, the calm seemed to be a source of amusement, as evidenced by the subtle smirk that graced his lips, his eyes fixed on the passing buildings.

Calida finally broke the silence as they reached the university, unable to contain her curiosity."Why the smug expression?" she inquired, stepping out of the car, her eyes probing his amused countenance.

"Smug?" he echoed, his eyes meeting hers with amusement.

"Yeah, that thing you do with your mouth—smirking like you're privy to some secret," she pointed out, indicating his mouth with a teasing gesture.

"I do that thing with my mouth?" he retorted, his tone laced with playful innuendo, intensifying the amusement etched on his face. Calida felt a flush creeping up her cheeks.

"Perhaps there are other things you'd like my mouth to do?" he suggested, his hand casually finding its place on her lower back as they strolled toward Dr. Gaul's lab.

"What? No, that's not what I said," she protested, her cheeks aflame.

The sensation of his hand on her lower back sent a subtle, lingering heat through her.

Surprisingly, the impending meeting with Dr. Gaul seemed like a lesser concern.

To regain control, she quickened her pace towards Dr Gaul's office, Coriolanus matching her stride, his chuckles echoing in response to her flustered reaction, his hand a warm presence at the small of her back.