Chapter 14

* + + *

         The sun was beginning to set now, finally letting the air become cooler. It was so hot today and I still wasn't used to that. The four of us had swam in the ocean some more, needing to cool off again. Este and I had changed out of our t-shirts into tank tops over our bikini's. We had food truck snacks as we dried off afterwards in the sand, but now we were moving on to something else.

We had already done so much here, I couldn't believe there was more for us tomorrow. This was the most I had ever gotten to do in a day. I almost didn't want to leave tomorrow.

We were now back in front of the stage because Rowan looked at the setlist and saw the bands we were most excited about were coming on in a few minutes. The live music had been playing all day long, band after band. How was there so many bands? I couldn't believe it.

All of us were even more excited because we got spots front row somehow. I could tell it was going to be so much more fun. All the fairy lights hung around the festival were glowing in the dark and made everything look so pretty.

A few moments later, the band Sunroom came out on stage. Rowan was losing his mind. I laughed at him. As they began to play, I understood why he liked them so much. Their music was all about the best things at the beach, and they were still fun and energetic. Almost the entire crowd was dancing. Rowan was singing along to every word of all their songs.

They played a song called 'Clementine' which I think was my favorite. It was so pretty. I also liked 'Fun.' I told Rowan and he said that one was his favorite. So then I liked it even more. I had so much fun the entire time this band was out.

After their set was over, Rowan told us all how much he loved it, even if we could already tell. He told me he was happy I liked it too. I was happy he was so happy. I just wanted to shower him with kisses so badly. But I didn't. We've kissed a few times, showed affection, but nothing super obvious. But it was clear we cared about each other a lot. Maybe there's a lot of things unsaid between us that need to be said.

Next, the Beach Boys tribute band came on. I was curious to how they would sound. And once they started to play, I decided they were okay. I knew a lot of the songs from the diner, so I sang along. So did the others. And most of the crowd actually. I felt almost nostalgic.

They played a lot of my favorites, like, 'Surfer Girl,' 'Don't Worry Baby,' 'In My Room,' 'Caroline, No,' and songs like that. I loved it.

But I couldn't stop thinking of home because of the memories. I wasn't sure why. It wasn't like I was homesick.

But then, they played the song, 'All I Wanna Do,' And I froze. This was my favorite song ever. Every time things were as tough as ever, this song would conveniently play at the diner while I worked. It might be just a song, but it meant a lot to me. Music was the only good thing I had back home.

I don't know why, but it seemed to lead all those bad memories to come rushing through my head at once. The things I'd went through that I wished I could forget forever. Why did music have to hold memories so strongly?

Maybe because my life changed so drastically one night and I didn't even have time to accept it, or that I had to change as a person too, to fit into here.

Rowan must have noticed the look on my face, because he lifted my chin with his fingers and raised his eyebrows with a look in his eyes that said, 'Are you okay?'

Unfortunately, you can't really choose when memories hit.

I nodded, but he knew me too well. He whispered, "Come here," And pulled me to him to hold onto me for a moment.