Chapter 8

* + + *

The moment I made it back inside the house, the wave of air conditioning was very satisfying from the hot sun. It was a Saturday, so Randy and Dahlia were home from work all day. Randy was on the couch reading a newspaper with the TV on, the ceiling fan spinning, and Dahlia was sitting at the kitchen bar on her laptop.

"How was surfing?" Dahlia asked me.

"It was really fun." I answered. "I think It's my new favorite thing." I repeated to them what I just told the others.

"I'm glad you're having fun here." She smiled. "Where's Este?"

"She and Matt went somewhere." I got a cold water from the fridge.

"Oh, Eileen." Randy stood up from the couch. "I was at the store today and got you a prepaid phone. I figured it would be safer for you to have one."

He handed me a box that was lying on the coffee table. I couldn't believe I had something this nice in my hands right now. I'd never had a phone before. I wouldn't know how to work it.

"Wow. Thank you." I said genuinely.

"Of course. Este can show you how to use it."

I thanked them again, then went to my room since I was, in fact, still in a wet bikini. I had shorts over luckily. But still, I wanted to take it off.

I changed into a plain white t-shirt and clean jean shorts, which felt really good. I then laid on my stomach on my bed and turned on the TV. I tried to mess with it until I could figure out how to get a show that was mildly interesting. We had a TV at home, but it was very old and only had a few channels. Despite that, I hardly ever watched it anyway.

Once I finally got it, I relaxed and rested my sore muscles that already ached from surfing. I was very content right now, so I thought about that some too. Eventually, I got up and cracked open the balcony doors so I could listen to the waves crash, because apparently I couldn't get enough of it.

Later on, Dahlia called me down for dinner. I was greeted by eggs, bacon, biscuits, sausage, and other things like that laid out across the dining table.

"Hope you like breakfast for dinner." Dahlia smiled, as she set down a plate of toast on the table.

"I do, thank you. It looks good."

I sat down at the table in front of where Dahlia sat, and next to Randy, who always sat at the head of the table.

"Breakfast for dinner is my favorite. Saves time in the morning." Randy chuckled.

"Help yourselves." Dahlia soothed, referring to the food spread out on the table. I was still sort of full from burgers earlier, but I was happy for a second meal. I put some eggs and bacon on my plate, then grabbed a biscuit.

"I guess Este's not joining us." Dahlia sighed, playfully rolling her eyes. "But we're glad you are, Eileen."

"Have you messed around with that phone yet?" Randy asked.

"Not yet. I realized I have no idea how to work it, so I figured I wait until Este gets back."

"I'd help, but I hardly know how to use mine. I'm too old for this." Randy sighed. Dahlia and I laughed.

It felt a little weird eating dinner with the people who felt like my second mom and dad as a kid. Without Este I mean. All the time I hadn't seen them, but they have welcomed me into their home with open arms. I guess I was basically like their second kid now? They'd always felt like family to me back then anyway. But I'm still wrapping this whole concept around my head.