Chapter 9

* + + *

I woke up this morning pretty tired. I spent the night awake, stirring in my thoughts. So eventually, I got up early and watched the sunrise on my balcony.

After having hours to think about mine and Rowan's kiss last night, I decided maybe I did want it to happen again. That I truly liked him back all this time, but denied it because I was so afraid of putting trust into someone again. And that I liked when he was around, and when he was holding me, kissing me, and I just wanted more of him so badly.

But after the way I ended our kiss and made an excuse to leave, I wasn't sure if he would try again. Everything he said about me then replayed in my head and warmed my heart. I never thought I could mean something like that to someone.

Rowan was the only person I let my wall down for. And I liked how I felt after I let him in.

Once it was late enough, I got dressed in a red shirt with jean shorts, then left my room. Everyone was hanging around the living room, so I joined them. Dahlia and Randy were heading out the door to leave for work.

Este motioned for me to sit next to her on the couch, and so I did.

"Dad mentioned he got you a prepaid phone." She mentioned.

"Yeah, yesterday." I confirmed.

"I can show you how to use it."

"That'd be great, cause I don't know the first thing." We both laughed.

Este got up from the couch to grab it off the kitchen counter, then sat back down. We charged it a minute and let it boot up. We just awkwardly stared at the loading screen in silence.

Once it loaded, Este showed me the ropes.

"I feel like a martain." I laughed.

"You sort of are. I get to show my alien all around Florida." Este laughed too. "I'll put everyone's numbers in."

I watched as Este put hers, Matt's, Rowan's, Dahlia's, and Randy's contacts all into my new phone.

"Now I know." I sighed.

"And now you know. C'mon, let's go to the beach." Este grinned, getting up from the couch.

* + + *

Este and I have now been lying on the beach again, soaking sun as usual. She was now trying to make plans.

"I can't wait to go surfing again." I grinned.

"I've created a monster." Este teased.

"What were you saying?"

"I was saying, we should get tacos today. I'm sure the boys will find us here soon."

"Tacos sound great." I agreed, laying on my hands behind my head.

After a beat of silence, Este and I were suddenly picked up off the ground super quickly. The two of us were startled and Este shrieked. I looked up and saw it was Matt and Rowan who scooped us off the ground as a surprise. It was easier for them since we were lying down. They were carrying us bridal style, and running into the ocean.

"Hey!" I called at Rowan, trying to struggle out of his arms, but not really trying.

Este was shouting, "Matt, put me down!," as she was hitting his arm.