Chapter 3

* + + *

I woke up that next morning with Este insisting on taking me shopping. The clothes I had were the only few nice ones I owned in my backpack, and they think I had suitcases that got lost.

She also just loves shopping anyway, so she was excited about this.

I got dressed in a white sundress of mine which was old and faded. It was lined with lace and it was the nicest thing I had so it worked. I did my hair half up and half down and wore my white converse.

I came downstairs to some fruit on the kitchen counter that was out for breakfast. I guess this was a normal thing to eat in the morning, but i'd never done it. Este was already eating some, so I got a plate and had some strawberry's.

After that, we were ready to go. We got in Este's white car which had the roof down, I can admit I was very fascinated by this, and began to drive to wherever she's taking me.

As we drove down the road, Este had her sunglasses on and the wind blowing through her golden blonde hair.

"So tonight, there's a beach bonfire. it's sort of a party type thing, super common around here. Matt's going to be there with his friend, and he's pretty cute." Este started. I could see where this was going after she gave a smirk. "I'd like to introduce you to Matt, but also his friend."

I realized then that i'd never even thought about being in a relationship before. I'd always been on my own working hard to survive, never interested in boyfriends. I wasn't sure what I thought now.

"I don't know if i'm interested in doing that right now."

"Well that's the point. It's like a summer fling."

"A summer fling?"

"Sure. We all go back to different schools and go our separate ways. Summer is about thinking of only today. Not yesterday, not tomorrow. You just enjoy the present. Because summer is the time you have nothing to worry about. Besides, it's fun."

I thought about what she said.

"Is that what you and Matt are doing?" I asked genuinely.

"It started out that way. But I think I actually really like him. Doesn't go that way for everyone if you don't want it to. I guess we're a little more serious."

"How long have you known him?"

"I just met him at the beginning of the summer. At one of the bonfire's actually." Este laughed. "Maybe you'll change your mind when you see his friend."

She was teasing me now. "Are you trying to set me up?"

She only laughed and it caused me to laugh too. "You deserve to have fun. You're so uptight."

Finally after a while of driving, we pulled into a centre with different shops.

"You seem like a simple gal. I know you'll like this place." She exclaimed as we walked into the store.

I followed her in and she might've been right. It was a small shop and seemed like stuff I like. It surprised me a little bit how she still knows me so well.