Chapter 4

* + + *

"Anyone up for a swim?" Matt suggested.

"Yeah!" Este cheered.

Rowan and I agreed and so Este and I took our jean shorts off so we were now only in our bathing suits.

"Race you!" Matt instantly took off, and the rest of us running to catch up to him.

As we met the water, it was harder to run, but we all made it about the same time. We were about chest deep in the water. The deepest i'd been in the ocean.

The moon was out and the sky dark. The water was cooler by now, but it felt nice since the weather was somehow still hot. I hope I get used to this insane heat soon.

Some of the other kids our age at the party were in the water too, and now more started to join. We were all spread out though, so the four of us had our own area away from the others.

The moon glistened against the water and gave a pretty reflection against the small waves.

Rowan went underwater to get his hair wet and came back up. "The water feels nicer tonight." He said, moving his hair out of face.

He went back under and I assume pulled Matt's legs down, causing him to go underwater since he let out a cut off yelp. Este and I laughed at the two.

Both of them resurfaced and Rowan was laughing too.

"I'll get you back for that, dude." Matt grumbled, moving his hair back.

"You two go back and fourth like brothers." Este joked.

Rowan gave Matt a look that could only mean one thing, and before either Este or I could react, they had us by the shoulders and ducked us underwater.

We came back up above to the two of them laughing at us. But we couldn't help but laugh too. Something was making this funnier than it should be.

We finally settled down, then Matt swam closer to Este. He grabbed her waist and began to kiss her. She wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him back. I thought they'd stop, but they kept going.

"Guys, we're in the middle of the ocean get a room!" Rowan joked.

Matt moved his face away from Este, still holding her, and splashed Rowan while laughing, then returned to kissing Este.

"C'mon Eileen, guess we gotta find a different part of the ocean." Rowan laughed.

"Guess so." I went along, and as I said it, I realized maybe Matt and Este had planned for that all along.

We both swam some distance from the two, and now had our own spot. We looked back and saw Matt lifting Este out of the water by her waist and playfully throwing her back in as she screamed.

"MATHEW TRUMAN!" She yelled, once she came back from underwater.

"How about we get to know each other." Rowan suggested.

"Sure. Are you originally from here?"

"Yep. Not this exact city though. Have you always lived in Kansas?"