Chapter 17- Headmaster

This was actually a very long chapter. But I decided to cut it in half. I'm so productive today.
Enjoy!

-------

Gael watched Alec enter through the open wooden doors of the academy. The kid had remained silent the rest of their walk and he wondered if he had said something wrong. Looking back, he did not say anything bad but Alec had refused to even look at him. He got another urge to break the rule he imposed on himself and read Alec's mind. He sighed. All the power to read someone's mind and understand them better, but he couldn't use it. It would be invading their privacy and ruining relationships in the long run.

He sped up his pace and motioned Alec to follow him. They entered the main lobby, where a large black drae statue stood in the center, surrounded by white and grey walls. Behind it, two sets of curving staircases led up to a higher floor. They climbed those stairs, stepped on the red carpet covering dark marble floors, and reached the second floor. Once there they turned to another hall where another set of steps could be found. As they walked, he took notice of all the people who would glance at him and Alec.

It wouldn't take very long before the entire academy hears the news of his little brother's existence. It was going to be quite noisy for a while. Family gatherings at the Munstone's home would be even noisier, especially because he forgot to introduce the twins to Alec earlier that morning. He really just wanted to get Alec and Areisha away from each other before things escalated. The two looked like they were going to bite each other's head off.

Once they reached the third floor, they padded over the carpet-less floor and toward a narrow hallway. The white walls turned grey as they entered the corridor. Small portraits of men and women dressed in the same flamboyant attire of red, black, and white, lined the walls. Unlike the time in his youth, he took no notice of the people in the paintings. But, Alec though, paused in his tracks, causing him to turn his head and raise a brow at the younger man. The young man ignored his look and stared at one of the portraits of a man with black hair, and blue eyes the same shade as Alec's. Gael stepped toward him and looked down at the small golden plate where one could spot engraved writings.

Ardinel Roselinne Skywarden
"Second Headmaster of Draeyer Academy"

He looked up at Alec and noticed the deep crease between his brows as if deep in thought. He coughed causing the young man to snap his attention to him.

"Let's go," he said. Alec nodded at him, but right after he took another glance at the painting of the former headmaster who handled the Academy so many years ago. A few moments later, they stopped in front of two large wooden doors. Gael knocked and waited for permission to enter. He looked behind him and saw Alec staring up at the golden sign above the door with the words "Headmaster's Office" written in cursive.

He knocked on the black wooden door before entering. Inside he found Erin, the headmaster's secretary, drowning in mountains of paperwork. The man looked up from his papers with bloodshot eyes and waved the two of them towards another door before he resumed what he was doing. Gael sent a silent prayer that he would survive the day.

You're going to be that busy soon, you know.

He waved that thought away and knocked on the door. He heard a soft "come in" and pushed the door open. Once he did, Headmaster Donovan's grinning face greeted him from behind a huge wooden desk. He opened the door wider, and Alec followed him inside as well.

"Finally, you're here!" the headmaster's voice rang in his red and white office. He stood from his chair and moved around the table to greet them. Gael's brows met in the middle when he saw the old man's grey eyes grow big in surprise. He turned to look and found that had Alec tilted his head to the side, as he locked gazes with the headmaster. Gael's brows knit in confusion at the old man's reaction.