Chapter 18-Job Offer

"Just because," he said.

Donovan's knowing gaze shifted to him, but he just smiled at the old man.

Alec narrowed his eyes at him, letting out a confused and frustrated sigh. He eventually crossed his arms and leaned back on his chair. He seemed to be contemplating something.

Gael decided to give him options. "You are free to pursue any of your hobbies. You can work if you'd like," he said. "You can even be a student here and study."

Alec raised his head at the last one. "Actually...I was part of Icefall Academy's remote learning program." Gael raised a brow and motioned for him to continue. "I had finished all the course requirements, even the internship training a few months ago. But I was too busy to head for Icefall Academy to apply for graduation."

Gael and Donovan were both dumbfounded. Alec wouldn't be lying to them about this. He had no reason to. It was still quite a shock though. Remote learning programs were created for people who couldn't enter a traditional classroom. It allowed for them to pursue their education without being constrained by their time and location. It started ten years ago when the current August of Education had just come into power.

He knew that it had allowed many people to graduate early, but he had never seen anyone as young as Alec do it. Only a year more before becoming 20 and already a degree holder. He knew Alec was some kind of genius when it came to hunting, but academically? Just how good is this kid?

He felt a light slap on his shoulder. He looked up and found Donovan giving him an amused smile. "Why are you acting shocked? You graduated at 21."

"Alec is 19!"

"Your point being?"

Gael just sighed as the amusement continued to play on the old man's face. He turned to look at Alec, who was also looking at him in surprise. He released a deep sigh before eventually speaking up. "We can contact Icefall Academy and have your graduation processed. It shouldn't be difficult to receive your degree by the end of the week," he said. "May I ask what your course was?"

"Teaching."

What in Blazen was going on here? What kind of crazy coincidence is this?

Donovan burst into a laugh when he saw Gael's reaction. "I was worried that no one would believe that the two of you are brothers. But seeing as you have so much in common, except appearance, there shouldn't be any problems."

Alec's face contorted like he did not like how similar they were to each other. Gael sighed and rubbed his brows, trying to relieve his shock. The conversation was important though, so he had to move on to the next topic.

"After that, what do you want to do?"

"I would want to study for the teacher qualifying exams that will happen next year."

"Do you want to be a teacher?"

Alec nodded. "Yes."

Gael fell silent after that, contemplating how similar they were in so many ways. It led him to think of the ridiculous possibility that Alec was really his brother. He sighed at that. No way he was going to be blessed with something like that.

The headmaster made his way back to his seat and faced Alec, a small smile forming on his lips. "If that's what you want, then while you wait for the exams, would you like to gain work experience?"

"What kind of work, sir?"

"One of the teaching assistants just quit last week, we need someone to take his place."

"I'm sure there are a lot of more qualified people than I am."

"True, but the one who needs an assistant is very picky about who he works with. He needs someone he can trust. Most of the applicants so far are people he  would not like, at all."

"What makes you think this person can trust me, sir?"

Donovan's smile grew brighter. He turned his gaze to Gael, before looking back at Alec. "He already does."

Gael's eyes widened at the implication. Jace had quit? Why had hit quit? What in Blazen happened while he was gone? He was gone for only two months, for Kosmik's sake! He began to dread the amount of work he was going to juggle without any help. Which is why, he directed a pleading gaze at Alec and silently begged him to accept.

Alec turned and looked away from him, frowning like he was burdened by his gaze. "How much work do you have?"

Gael took this as an opportunity to be completely honest. "Well, I hold two classes in Combat and Weapon Mastery 101 twice a week. I also have duties as the head of the Combat courses department. I also manage the Sentire students as their dorm manager and main teacher-in-charge. I also occasionally help around with the security unit, and also manage my establishments in the Business District..."

He went on and on, making sure to not leave anything out. He was really scared that Alec would run away, but everything in him screamed to be honest so Alec would know what he was getting into if he did decide to take the offer. He wished with all his heart that he would accept. He was going to die without help.

By the time he finished, Alec's face had contorted to a strange mix of horror and amazement. "Are you a human being?"

"Unfortunately."

Alec sighed and ran a hand through his hair. He looked at the headmaster. The old man smiled and spoke up. "The experience you gain here will be very valuable when you decide to apply for a teaching position, whether it is here or at another academy."

He looked back to Gael. Eventually, his shoulders dropped and he sighed again. "The salary and experience must be worth it. And you owe me one favor."

Gael resisted the urge to raise his fist in the air. Instead, he grinned. "Thank you, Alec."

-----

Alec with a stick: *pokes my body* Are you alive?

Me: *lying prone, steam rising from my head* Tired.

Alec: Well, you were unusually productive today. Three chapters. Impressive, when it comes to you.

Me: Thank---Wait was that a backhanded compliment?

Alec: Still a compliment.

Me: Go away.

Alec: Nope *pokes my body with the stick again*