Chapter 6-Alec Arden

Gael sat on railing of a wobbly porch, unafraid that it might break from his weight. He watched as the Ryders they brought along inspected the vicinity. Some of them were treating the injured red Drae a distance away from the porch. His eyes soon darted around the rotting wooden cottage, wondering why the boy they captured even lived here. He tightened his fur coat around him, as clouds of mist formed in the air every time he exhaled.

"Can't we go inside?" his companion said. Gael lifted his gaze toward him and gave the man a glassy-eyed stare that answered his question.

"I don't know about you but, I don't want to freeze my rear out here," the man said. He proved his point as he rubbed his gloved hand over his coat-covered arms, as if it would give him warmth. His face scrunched when he moved his injured shoulder as he did so.

"This is your own fault Kreis. You said you wanted to interrogate him," Gael said, as his gaze trailed to the young man that they tied on a chair on one corner of the porch. "I already told you that he isn't the one we are looking for, judging by the color of his eyes alone. Yet, you insisted in interrogating him."

"Just being thorough. The red drae we've been tracking is with him. He's also a skilled fighter like the thief you met at the academy. The thief could've altered his appearance or may be accomplices with this kid," Kreis said. "This kid is suspicious." Gael had to pause and stare at him.

"It is nice to see you have matured over the years. If this was in the past, you would be doing this just to be petty. You would've disliked this kid for being skilled enough to hurt you."

"Thank...," Kreis paused. "Wait a minute! I am not that petty!"

"So, you admit that you're still petty?"

"Gael Fenrin!"

Gael had to suppress his laughter. Kreis was starting to turn into a tomato. It would be best to stop before he ruined his friend's image in front of his subordinates. Reputation and image were useful for being a battalion commander for the Ryders.

"Being a commander for the Ryders definitely helped you."

"This job should've been yours. You're the one with the best leadership, fighting skills, and love for battle," Kreis grumbled.

"I love teaching more," Gael said. Besides, I wanted to be far away from Cetrulis Skyland as much as possible.

Before they could continue, their heads whipped towards the direction of their captive. Gael had just enough time to tilt his body and avoid the knife coming for his stomach. Kreis and his subordinates pounced on the young man, pinning him down in the wooden flooring.

"Drae's shit! Let me go!" the young man shouted from beneath the pile. "What did you do to the drae?!"

"How on earth did he get free from his ropes!" Kreis shouted. "Tie him up again."

There were shouts and grunts as two of Kreis subordinates placed the young man back on the chair and tied him up. Curses flew from the kid's mouth the entire time. The iciest light blue eyes he had ever seen glared at him.

He probably freed himself while Kreis and I were talking. He recognized that I'm the strongest and aimed his knife at me to take me down first. But he was so angry that his narrowed vision did not take note of the Ryders. If he had been calm, he would've put up more of a fight. If it was just me and Kreis here...

"Scary kid," Gael muttered. However, his lips were trying to stretch into a wide grin. He stopped himself though. It would be unbecoming of him. How can a grown man like him want to fight a kid? Even if said kid could probably fight well enough to stand his ground against him. He walked up to the young man, who was tied up once more.