1: Fortune is Unpredictable and Mutable

??? Pov

'One bowl of tea on rice...

Pickled Plums, slivered nori, and leftover chicken from dinner...

All doused in piping-hot water, then shoveled with salted kelp...

That was so good. All those bowls of tea on rice I'd sneak into the kitchen to make at the orphanage.' I suddenly went on my knees and fell to the ground. "Ow- Damn it..I'm gonna die of hunger." I spoke.  'My name is Atsushi. Due to unfortunate circumstances, I'm about to die of starvation and right now... There's an unconscious girl next to me, lying on her back.'

A speedy train went by, as I groaned again. 'After being driven out of the orphanage, I had nothing to eat, nowhere to sleep, and as one might expect, not a cent to my name..'

The girl next to me grumbled as she turned around in her sleep, her back facing me.

'Yet I lack the courage to commit theft. That is how I've arrived at my current predicament.' I went on with my thoughts, shoving my fist to the ground, I used my strength to rise up. 'However, If I wish to live, I have no choice but to take from others! Yet I still don't know if this girl has any money or not.' I thought, slowly looking at the girl's pockets to find nothing in there but a random crumbled paper with horrible handwriting on it that says something illegible.

"Get out you good for nothing!" a voice rang in my head.

I looked up to see memories of my headmaster yelling at me.

"No orphanage would welcome the likes of you!"

"The world would be a better place if you'd just die in a ditch somewhere."

"Shut up. Shut up! SHUT UP! SHUT UP! SHUT UP!" I yelled louder every time I said this phrase.

"Die in a ditch? I'm not gonna die! I'm gonna live! No matter what it takes!" My thoughts spoke out loud. It would be pretty embarrassing if that girl heard me. "Okay, I'll rush the first person who comes along and rob them of everything they've got!" I said. Hearing a shing noise, I turned around to see a motorcycle zoom past me. "Well that was mission impossible.. I can't catch him on an empty stomach." I said, making excuses. "Next!" I closed my eyes and heard another shing noise, I saw a large group of military men counting while jogging across the sidewalk. "I-I'd doubt military police would be toting their wallets during training...But the next person for sure!"

Another Shing noise.

"I've got this!" I yelled out while turning around, but all I saw was a man's legs floating down the river while twitching. "Well...I can't possibly count him." I mumbled.