Chapter 8 | You've Got a Friend in Me

Image Credit: luka (pinterest)

"Hmm... okay, let's see... four sprigs of lavender in the mortar... two of you in the mortar as well..." I mutter to myself in my Room and Requirement, dropping the herbs in the mortar and pestle and crushing the ingredients into a fine powder for my first attempt at Dreamless Sleep Potion.

I place the back of my hand near my mouth and let out a yawn, tears trickling down my face from my tired eyes as I stare back down at the Book of Potions.

It's my first spare of the day after morning classes, and Merlin am I tired. Instead of opting to go down to my dormitory for a much needed nap, I decided to go to my Room of Requirement to try my hand at this potion so that I at least had a vial on hand before bed tonight.

My hand shakes as I measure out the Flobberworm Mucus and drop it into my cauldron, eyes growing heavy.

Maybe I should have had that nap instead, I sigh to myself.

I shake off the weariness within me and strive to refocus on the remaining instructions, despite the tempting allure of the inviting lounge opposite, as I resist its beckoning call to just drop everything and lay down.

When I'm feeling fairly confident I have the first batch of the required ingredients added to my brew, I gracefully wave my wand over the concoction before stepping back. With a sigh of relief, I set my timer for 70 minutes. I at least have some time now for some much needed rest before concluding this potion-making endeavour. No wonder Madam Blainey had special stores of this potion in her closet; it takes forever to brew.

With a grateful sigh, I walk over to the dark green lounge and sink into its cushions. Laying down, I close my eyes, intending to just rest for a moment since I did have Transfiguration homework I should be going over as well.

But... maybe a bit of sleep wouldn't hurt...

I drift off and soon enough, I find myself walking through a strange, dimly lit room, with its dusty shelves and cobwebs hanging around the corners. Books piled high with their spines cracked and worn. The atmosphere in this room evoked memories of the eerie settings from the horror novels I used to devour during my spooky story phase.

Walking past me without a glance, the blonde girl clad in Hufflepuff robes emerges from the shadows, her footsteps echoing in the silent room. There's an open door behind us.