Chapter 7 | Eerily Similar

Image Credit : animasola86

Several weeks had slipped by since the confrontation with Garreth. After my heated exchange with him in Central Hall, Poppy had wasted no time in confronting Leander Prewitt, armed with the same furious attitude after I'd confided in her, sharing what I'd overheard him muttering in the library.

Needless to say, the two ginger-haired Gryffindor boys were found moping around the castle lately, looking completely defeated.

Despite everything, Garreth persisted in his efforts to engage with me, delicately vying for my attention in every class we shared.

"I told you, there's nothing to explain! You made yourself very clear in the library!" I angrily said to Garreth one day in class as I hastily gathered ingredients from the closet for our Elixir to Induce Euphoria assignment. "Amit's expecting you back at your station. Don't want to leave him waiting now, do you?" I add, tone laced with frustration, deftly maneuvering around Garreth, Shrivelfig pieces cascading from my arms as I went.

"But if you would just listen to me-"

I broke out into a little jog back to the potions class to meet Natty back at our station with my arms full, desperate to get away from Garreth as fast as I could. It was frustrating how persistent he was being.

I had convinced Natty and Amit to do a partner switch after what had happened, and both of them agreed with no questions asked. Amit, however, seemed like he was having second thoughts about the decision.

"Remind me again why I agreed to this?" Amit whispered to us as Garreth shuffled his feet back to their station with only half the ingredients.

I mouthed a silent "sorry" which Amit gave a sigh to and looked over to Garreth with a shake of his head before getting up from his stool to collect the rest of their ingredients. Garreth looked over to me with a pleading look and I quickly looked away, putting my full attention back to the task at hand.

After Natty and I's successful creation, we were granted an early dismissal from class, a relief I welcomed wholeheartedly. I don't think I could have handled anymore of Garreth's stares, which had him and Amit mess their potion up and have to start over, much to Amit's displeasure as he muttered profanities under his breath while chopping ingredients for their new brew.

"Well done, you two," I hear a familiar voice to my right, and I see Sebastian giving me and Natty a thumbs up, Ominis next to him at their station, stirring away at their cauldron.

"Thanks!" Natty and I both say in unison, and a giggle escapes me.

Sebastian's grin widens, although I notice his face has been looking more tired lately. I observe him better and see the dark circles he had at the start of term are back. My smile falters a little but I nod to him in acknowledgement before Natty and I walk out the door.