Chapter 7 : Whispers of Doubt (疑惑の囁き)

"That's fine."

The Emperor's voice dripped with nonchalance as he casually flicked his hand, summoning a magnificent red flame that swiftly devoured the blue one, extinguishing it with effortless ease.

A vacant void lingered between their plush sofas, oddly devoid of any trace of scorch marks or ashes from the incinerated table.

"Please, have your seat," the Emperor's tone remained composed, displaying indifference towards his property damage.

Taking her place on the sofa, she found herself entranced by the fleeting display of crimson flames.

Those crimson flames, akin to blood.

'Beautiful,' she thought, utterly mesmerized.

"It was a good start," the Emperor's voice cut through her reverie. "Most can't even ignite a single leaf in their first attempt."

"..I see," she responded with a slow nod, acknowledging his words.

"When you intend to employ your magic on a particular target, it's advisable to reduce the risk by directing your focus and pointing your hand toward that object," the Emperor advised, "otherwise, you may inadvertently affect the entire vicinity."

She blinked once, lips pressing together in a silent expression that conveyed a clear message of "You could have mentioned that earlier," eliciting a slight chuckle from the Emperor.

"However, young lady," the Emperor's expression turned inscrutable, a warning lurking in his eyes, "be exceedingly cautious. For those lacking full control over their power, only devastation awaits."

A contemplative silence enveloped her before she finally spoke.

"A question, your Majesty."

"Ask away."

"Will you get rid of me in 'killing sense' if I don't agree to take up your offer?"

The Emperor remained silent in response to her question, prompting her to sigh and pose another inquiry.

"Me working for the Golden Royalty, will it even be worth than not just dying off?"

Theodore raised his eyebrows at her question, slightly taken aback.

"Honestly speaking, Your Majesty, rather than struggling all the way to the end for a futile result, I'd rather just choose getting myself rid off now," she tilted her head slightly, "in a 'killing sense' ofcourse."

The Emperor found himself momentarily lost for words, but soon his lips parted to speak.

"That's rather a pessimistic view, Young Lady."

"I call it a realistic view, Your Majesty."

The Emperor gave a faintly troubled wry smile at her calm and indifferent words.

He then fixed her with a serious gaze and declared firmly, "You won't meet a futile end, Young Lady. I give you my word."

Just as she prepared to respond, a gentle knock echoed at the door.

"Enter," commanded the Emperor.

The massive double door swung open, revealing a familiar figure cloaked in golden radiance.

"I greet his Imperial Majesty, the Golden Emperor," the golden boy greeted with reverence.

Helios offered a polite bow before straightening up, his gentle smile gracing his face.

That oh-so-gentle, yet painfully artificial smile.

He waved his hand towards her and spoke up.

"I see, an ongoing interrogation?"