Chapter 4 : Strangers in a Strange Land (異国の地の見知らぬ者たち)

Her gaze momentarily shifted past the boy, and she noticed the broken door lock.

She could see that the boy didn't appear out of nowhere but somehow had broken the lock and entered inside the storeroom without her hearing a thing.

Remaining silent, she met his friendly smile with a straight unreadable face.

"Hello," The boy greeted her again with his persistent radiant smile.

Her silence in response to the stranger's presence elicited a look of perplexed amusement, and his smile only grew more curious.

"Who might you be? Young lady seems to have a different school uniform."

He tilted his head and spoke lowly, more to himself. "Perhaps, you don't understand the language?"

With calm and perceptive eyes, she observed the boy, attentively taking note of every detail, assessing him with a keen awareness.

The boy appeared to be around 17 or 18 years old, yet exuded an undeniable air of confidence and authority, as though he were a figure accustomed to wielding power effortlessly.

As he continued to speak, his tone remained patient and measured, perhaps mindful of not unsettling her due to his sudden appearance or....he was wary of her.

"My apologies for not speaking," her composed voice calmly emerged, causing the boy to blink and arch an eyebrow in mild surprise. It appeared he might have been caught off guard, leaving her to ponder if he had assumed she was mute.

"So you do understand the language," the golden boy remarked, beaming a dazzling smile.

She would have appreciated that beautiful smile if it wasn't for one thing.

With a tilt of her head and a graceful smile adorning her lips, she began, "I was merely collecting my thoughts and would like to ask you for something." Her eyes narrowed as she continued, "Do kindly put an end to your lovely feigned personality."

The boy froze slightly, his expression faltering for a moment before he composed himself and spoke.

"I didn't think it was obvious."

In the blink of an eye, the enchanting smile and soft, gentle eyes vanished, replaced by an inscrutable and mysterious expression.

The golden boy persona disappeared instantly, leaving behind only a boy exuding a cold and dominant aura.

This was his true personality, stripped of all pretense and facades.

A newfound smirk, distant from the friendly demeanor, adorned his face. There was a hint of arrogance in it, as if he found something rather amusing in the current predicament.

"Rarely do people uncover the truth when I wear my friendly mask," Helios declared in a tone devoid of emotion.

"Oh, Good for you." Her smile too had vanished, replaced by her usual indifferent gaze.

"I suppose those of similar nature possess a certain knack for recognizing one another," his clear eyes narrowed slightly, and the corner of his lips curled into a smirk.

"Ha ha," a monotonous laugh escaped her lips as she raised her eyebrows.

"What a dry laugh," he remarked.

"Your words failed to amuse me," she retorted.

"Then why bother laughing?" he inquired.

"I'm merely being polite and amiable," she replied.

As they exchanged blunt remarks with straight faces and unwavering voices, an amused glint danced in Helios' eyes as he spoke, "You hardly seem friendly."