OFF THE GRID

A loud knock sent Mori bouncing off the bed, wagging his tail ferociously. Expecting to see Yusuke, Airi crossed the room and opened the door with a smile on her face.

"Kurama?"

What is he doing here?

"Not the guest you anticipated, I know," he said, bending down to scratch Mori's back. "How have you been?"

"Okay," she lied. "Keeping busy." Another lie.

"Good," he said.

She knew he didn't believe her. One of her favorite things about Kurama, though, was his ability to let people sit with their emotions, rather than trying to force them out. If only I could do the same.

"I come bearing news," he said, taking a seat in her desk chair.

Airi followed his lead. Scooping up Mori, she sat on the bed with him in her lap.

"What's going on? Is everyone okay?"

"Hm, not quite."

"Tell me," she said, anxiously.

He proceeded to explain how Toguru was somehow still alive, how he cornered Yusuke, terrifying him and threatening him into joining something called the Dark Tournament. A gruesome thing, controlled by awful people who pit demons against each other to fight to the death. If Yusuke did not comply, Toguru promised to kill everyone he loved.

"Poor Yusuke..."

"It does not simply affect him, I'm afraid, but all of us. Kuwabara has been entered as the second guest. Hiei and I have been recruited as well."

Dread filled her. Almost everyone on earth who meant something to her had just been summoned to their deaths.

"Where is Yusuke? Can I talk to him?"

"Not quite. He left last night for Genkai's complex, hoping she will be able to strengthen him enough to actually compete."

"Oh..."

"But there is a way you can help," he said, crossing one leg over the other. "I take no pleasure in asking this of you, Airi. I have located a safe haven where we can go to prepare. Kuwabara is nowhere near strong enough for this, as he is now. Your regenerative power would allow him to train longer, and harder, so that he may have a real chance."

"Of course I'll come," she said, holding Mori tightly. "I could never stand by while you're all in danger."

"I know," he said, voice filled with regret. "You should bring your friend. He will be good for morale."

Mori barked and wagged his tail. Sometimes, she could swear he understood them.

*******************************************************************************************

"You invited the girl?"

Hiei sat on a rock, watching the oaf attempt to make a breakfast of egg and sausage over the fire.

"Yes, Hiei. She will be helpful."

"Hn. Doubtful."

"If I remember correctly, she was able to heal you after the ordeal with Yukina."

At the same time Kuwabara shouted "Yukina!", Hiei responded flatly: "I did not need it."

"As you say," Kurama dismissed him, no doubt still imagining he harbored positive feelings towards the girl.